Discuss Domestic socket loop test puzzle. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This whole thing dont make sense. If the boiler is on own radial then it has a spur yes? Where does the socket come into it? But anyway clearly the earth makes and breaks when the wires are in different position. And anyway a socket tester will not give you an ohmic measurement. Confused I am.
Sorry if my post confused you the point that I was trying to make is regardless of this earth fault to socket B.G plugged their socket loop tester in the socket on our landing to prove earth however our boiler is on its own radial not the ring so not actualy proving earth of the boiler circuit.Going back to the socket earthing problem,unless the cables of the live or earth are trapped by the insulation there must be a break in the cable that is make/breaking as being moved.

who's on first
That was great. I remember I think in arabian nights was it? the conversation about the lotion and the potion that the little guy had to put in someones room, been trying to find that clip for ages, dont spose you have it? I will understand if you aint got a clue what I'm on about

Thanks for the replies all (and sorry for getting back late - you really don't want to know about the weekend I've just had!).

I'm using the socket attachment for my MFT and haven't had any problems with it before so doubt that that's the problem.

The socket in question is a spur from the washing machine RFC socket below. I originally agreed with Steve and thought there was maybe a break in the cable which was made when the socket's pushed back into place. However, when the socket is off the wall the loop test is fine, but even if I don't screw it back but instead connect with 1mm wire the earth of the socket to the earth terminal on the box the reading jumps to >2000 Ohms. Afraid I can't get my head round it at all.

Clutching at straws, but you only have one cable at the socket with the problem, yes? can you gain access or do you know where it is spurred from? if you do can you disconnect that spur cable and check for continuity, making sure the wires are not broken anywhere, I did say clutching at straws that's all I can add.

Clutching at straws, but you only have one cable at the socket with the problem, yes? can you gain access or do you know where it is spurred from? if you do can you disconnect that spur cable and check for continuity, making sure the wires are not broken anywhere, I did say clutching at straws that's all I can add.

This is why I tell my apprentices to test at EVERY point on the circuit when doing continuity. Even though you can see the cpc, doesn't mean it's really there! It could be broken inside the sheath (if using multi core of course).

Jay

Thanks Pete. I'll try that when I go back but I'm not optimistic - the cpc is there and tests up except when it has any sort of contact with the back box. It's in the kitchen - maybe I should tell the customer to look for a battery-powered toaster!

Have you tried moving the socket about when you test? Clearly there is no logic in
connect with 1mm wire the earth of the socket to the earth terminal
causing a break in the loop. therefore the single you attached has pulled in the socket enough to re-create the pushing the socket back into the box and replicated the same break. And as Westward10 asked "what do you mean voltage on the back box" maybe there is a clue there?

Reply to Domestic socket loop test puzzle. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net