Discuss Drill press modification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How do you reverse direction at the moment?
is it a switch or a gear change lever?

To reverse a typical AC induction motor, one winding has to be reversed relative to the other. Therefore, the reversing process needs at least a 2-pole change-over switch. To use a single switch for forward / off / reverse requires a minimum of three poles to function, and four if the motor is to be completely disconnected from the power cord in the off position. This is done with a rotary cam switch rather than a toggle.

Here in the UK we have quite strict rules about making modifications to power tools that could impact safety. If the tool is used in a place of work, anyone making a modification must comply with the design rules, have the tool expertly examined and tested, and still take legal responsibility for any consequences of the modification in the event of an accident. A toggle-switch with a centre-off position might be less safe than a 2-position on/off switch as it is harder to ensure it is set promptly to the off position in an emergency.

Anyway, to check whether it is possible to reverse, you will need to look at the wiring coming from the motor and identify the start and run winding connections. The start (aka auxiliary) winding may be connected via a centrifugal switch, capacitor or both. The switch must close a circuit to the run winding with the same polarity in both direction, and independently to the start winding with one polarity for forwards and the other polarity for reverse.

Note that if it has a centrifugal switch, the motor will not reverse at full speed; switching to the opposite direction will cause it to continue in the same direction as the start winding will not be in circuit until the motor slows down sufficiently to close the switch. Therefore, consider any implications of the switch being thrown one way and the tool running the other way.

Last edited:

Reply to Drill press modification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net