Discuss Drilling through conservatorys? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Anyone know if its ok to drill through a conservatory?
Planing on fitting my outside light this weekend if the weather holds out.
Only problem is I need to go through the conservatory to do it!
I cant see any reason why I cant as long as I stay away from the edges of the windows but just thought ide check if anyone knew of any probs with doing it?
Plan is to feed the flex through a hole to the left hand side of the horizontal piece in the pic.

probably some steel in there., and if you get any condensation in the double glazing, they'll say it's your hole that's caused it. i've had the exact scenario with an alarm sensor. their problem was thast it was glued on. LOL. so they had to come back.is it built on a dwarf wall?

yes, but any excuse...... drill through the bricks. bit of YT1 up the corner of the upvc, stuck on,not screwed, unless there's a route avoiding the upvc altogether.

Cheers Tel,
Only other way I could see of doing it is there is a thin galv strip around the top of the conservatory which looks like goes straight outside.
Only problem is I dont think I could get a drill in there due to the guttering/roof panels.

Just had another look at the galv strip and I think I can get through it from above with a bit of a angle.
Would also be better than drilling through the UPVC as it goes down so no chance of water ingress :)

Only other thing is fitting the light to the outside of the conservatory, Ime assuming some regular self drillers should be suffice?

It is normally recommended not to fix things to the UPVC as the steel inside tends not to be weatherproof, however I have also seen a lot of things fixed to them without problem.

I have also fixed the occasional item to UPVC, I tend to make sure I put sealant in with the screw so that the connection is totally weatherproof.

Reply to Drilling through conservatorys? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net