Discuss Dynamo Draining Battery. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I would be extremely grateful if someone would be able to tell me how to rectify this fault. I have a 1940's 6 volt, negative earth, motorcycle with no lights, or fancy electronics, and the fully charged new battery will go completely flat after 30 minutes with the engine running. The red charging light stays on and someone has suggested that this indicates there is a current drain to the dynamo and that the dynamo is trying to run as a motor. Using a multimeter on the battery terminals indicates that the battery is being charged.(?) So far I have replaced the battery, regulator, bushes with no effect. The dynamo is of the Bosch type and the regulator is the correct one. I've tried isolating the warning light but the symptoms remain the same. Would connecting a suitable diode somewhere in the wiring be a practical solution ?

Last edited:
You should be reading 6.8 to 7v across the battery terminals when the engine is running over 2000rpm if it is charging.

You should be reading 6.8 to 7v across the battery terminals when the engine is running over 2000rpm if it is charging.
Hello James, Thank you for your reply. It's reading 7-8 volts with the engine running and 6:30 volts when the engine isn't running. I can't understand how the dynamo can be both charging the battery and draining it at the same time. If that is what's happening. Regards, Tom

Are you sure your meter is only measuring DC, putting AC into a battery can have some strange Effects.

Are you sure your meter is only measuring DC, putting AC into a battery can have some strange Effects.
Hello James, Thank you for taking an interest. Definitely measuring DC. Since starting this thread I've spoken to a retired auto electrician and he thinks that, in spite of what I've been told, the electronic regulator may be incompatible with the dynamo. Tomorrow, I'm going to try using a mechanical regulator that he will loan to me. He has also suggested that I recheck the polarity of the dynamo. Hopefully, the whole thing will be sorted soon as it's starting to drive me bonkers.

IIRC, isn't it possible for a dynamo to reverse its polarity? Seem to remember that back in the day, when changing from positive earth to negative earth, you 'flashed' the dynamo. Could this have happened accidently?
Hi Brian, I'm beginning to think that, as you suggest, the dynamo is incorrectly polarised. A friend of mine who is an "expert" polarised it but, thinking back, maybe not using the correct procedure for this design of dynamo. That would explain most of the symptoms. I'll have another go when I get down to my workshop this afternoon and report back.

Thank you to those who replied to my post. I'm still in a state of shock due to my discovery that, when the previous owner of this motorcycle had the dynamo reconditioned by a company with little experience of this kind of work, they incorrectly connected the internal F & D terminals. The terminal marked F on the body of the dynamo was actually D and vice versa. Can you believe it ? Obviously this unit was not properly tested or this elementary mistake would have been found. I'm pleased that the fault has been sorted but not very happy about all the time and cash wasted.

I ought to include a 'photo of me looking 30 years older due to the stress of the dynamo issue.

Nice. Suicide shifter looks well engineered. How much of the frame is original?

Nice. Suicide shifter looks well engineered. How much of the frame is original?
The frame is completely original but not the girder forks. There's an article about the bike in this month's Classic Bike magazine if you should find yourself browsing in WH Smiths. The Nimbus models in the mid 1930's would have had foot clutch/hand change.

I ought to include a 'photo of me looking 30 years older due to the stress of the dynamo issue.
awesome, but where does wifey sit?

funny. i'm looking for a restoration project, barn find perhaps, a 1950's /60's British M/C 500 ish cc. AJS, BSA, RoyalEnfield. Arial,Triumph, any. any one know of anything going?

Reply to Dynamo Draining Battery. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock