Discuss elec installation to engineering advice in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deathproof21

just looking for some advice, i served my time workin for my local council wiring houses and other types of domestic work, i was made redundant and have since gained employment in a alcohol filling/bottling plant, having been there around 9 months now, i have been on PLC training courses and am gettin to grips with working in panels with sensors and other logical wiring, i am looking at going on a relevant course in the area to further myself in this field. anybody been in a similar situation?? Dont really want to start an electrical engineering course at a low level but also dont want to start anything high level without some background knowledge.:confused:

if you are a time served spark im guessing you have a level 3 cert?
go to your local college and get on an HNC, highly relevant to your situation if you do the instrumentation and plc modules (i also work in FMCG), if your company has 'Investors in People' certification they should foot the bill, if not speak to the maintenance manager and ask about, whats the worst can happen.
other good news is its a new cirriculum from september and a lot of the maths is going from the new syllabus, in other words it will be easier
good luck.

other good news is its a new cirriculum from september and a lot of the maths is going from the new syllabus, in other words it will be easier
good luck.

Can you elaborate on this a bit.......is there a link to a website or press release or something.

100% going to enrol on the HNC this year, but if things are changing for better or worse I'd like to know.

Cheers.:)

that is the opinions of a team of lecturing staff in N.Ireland who teach to the same syllabus as England and Wales, and i have never known of an exam being changed to make it harder. what we were taught, our lecturers insisted was level 3 stuff 10 years ago. anyway have a read of the link and definitely still go for it,
there're just removing stuff that has little relevance (some of the mind bending maths)
BTEC Higher Nationals  | Electrical/Electronic Engineering  | Edexcel

Anyone know if there is an online course available for HNC or does it have to be taken in a college.
The reason i am asking is because i always work away i wouldn'd be able to take a college course.

have a read of this, it may point you in the right direction but logi tech is a scottish qualification organisation and as i see your from belfast id look for a edexcel qualification. i can advise this as im ex military with an hnc in aero engineering from S.Q.A, and a hnc in electrical and electronic from edexcel.
if you did the scottish one and fancied furthering your studies, our local colleges(NI),would not accredit your previous studies formally.
IET Forums - Any recommended HNC Electrical Engineering courses

Thanks Paul had a quick read at that but to be honest my brain is going a bit slow due to the beer. Will have a good look at the options tomorrow.

granted, yours was the last question i'm answering as beer is involved at this end also, bit hacked off that im not chanting USA,USA,USA!!!!
more beer please;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to elec installation to engineering advice in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net