Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Electrics problem.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all.
New to the forum and I have absolutely no knowledge of electrics...

At the end of my garden I have a workshop and garage. I'm currently 'doing up the garage'.
The garage has it's own consumer unit which does the garage and the workshop. There were lots of wires trailing off behind the old walls but weren't connected to anything. I spoke to a few tradesmen at work and they suggested I turn off all the power and simply disconnect the wires that led to nothing. I got as far as disconnecting the one that was attached to the round junction box, but when I turned the power back on something blew and I had no power.
When I flipped the breaker switches back on, I had power in the workshop but not the garage. Then, when I turned on a plug in the workshop everything blew again.
Next morning I've come to have a look at it all.....everything works in the workshop except the plug that blew.
How did removing that wire effect everything?? Wondering if it's a simple fix before I call someone to have a look....
Sorry if I'm not being too clear, total noob at electrical stuff.
I've attached some pics.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've just tried all the plug sockets and they all work. But, fuses have blown in the plugs to my computer and computer speakers....

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Don't mess with it yourself Mate, you need the services of an Electrician to sort that mess out, giving you advice other than switching the CU OFF would be wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea I don't really want to be messing about with it. Even i can see that whoever did this originally made a right mess of it...

FatAlan

-
Trainee
I think you’ll need to get someone in who knows what they are doing. It’s likely to be quite simple but needs to be worked through safely to establish what circuits you have and what is obsolete.

BruvDunk

-
Arms
As above..... see if you can find a local Electrician to come sort it out.
He can also give you a heads up if anything needs upgrading while your 'doing it all up' :) ....

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
what they all say.i could fly over business class, but the cost would be horrendous. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very easy job for a local sparks , rip out the redundant stuff and then tidy up the rest.
Less than half a days work for an experience spark

Reply to Electrics problem.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom