Discuss Essential starter power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Appreciate the responses - have always heard good things about DeWalt. Do many people here use Hilti? I know it costs a bomb but curious to know if the quality matches the price.
Milwaukee, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita and some others are pretty much the same, pick your favourite colour.

Hilti are a cut above but not sure its worth the difference in money unless you are going to be doing a lot of the same thing.

You will need.

A good battery SDS, something with enough clout but light enough to use one handed. No point having a 5Kg 56v monster for the occasional big hole then struggling with the vast majority of the holes you'll drill.

An impact driver is a must, don't go daft with power you're not taking wheel nuts off a bus.

A multi purpose drill for spade bits, step drills and hole cutters.

A multi tool, mine is 240 and I'm looking to get a battery one as there are many times i want to use it but can't be bothered with extensions.

A 4" grinder, I use mine a lot, mostly for trunking but will chop anything if it stays still long enough.

A lamp that fits your tool batteries, something hand held for inspection and lighting your work area, dont try to light the whole site.

As you progress...

An angle drill for joists makes running cables properly a joy rather than a chore.

A jigsaw.

A circular saw.

These are handy to have but i dont use them anywhere near as much as the first list.

Milwaukee, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita and some others are pretty much the same, pick your favourite colour.

Hilti are a cut above but not sure its worth the difference in money unless you are going to be doing a lot of the same thing.

You will need.

A good battery SDS, something with enough clout but light enough to use one handed. No point having a 5Kg 56v monster for the occasional big hole then struggling with the vast majority of the holes you'll drill.

An impact driver is a must, don't go daft with power you're not taking wheel nuts off a bus.

A multi purpose drill for spade bits, step drills and hole cutters.

A multi tool, mine is 240 and I'm looking to get a battery one as there are many times i want to use it but can't be bothered with extensions.

A 4" grinder, I use mine a lot, mostly for trunking but will chop anything if it stays still long enough.

A lamp that fits your tool batteries, something hand held for inspection and lighting your work area, dont try to light the whole site.

As you progress...

An angle drill for joists makes running cables properly a joy rather than a chore.

A jigsaw.

A circular saw.

These are handy to have but i dont use them anywhere near as much as the first list.

This is what I was hoping for - thanks very much for the advice. I'm gonna be acquiring this stuff slowly as it costs a small fortune.

I'm gonna go for Bosch and the GBH 18 V-EC, seems the best combination of size and power. I've seen some second hand Hilti gear on eBay, mainly 230v stuff, which i'm considering for the when you need an extra punch.

What is the big use for multi tools. Been suggested as essential a couple of times here. I bought one and have used it to cut old laminate floorboards up when working on the house and nothing else.. interested to see what obvious uses I'm missing

What is the big use for multi tools. Been suggested as essential a couple of times here. I bought one and have used it to cut old laminate floorboards up when working on the house and nothing else.. interested to see what obvious uses I'm missing

It's one of those tools that you can't really see lots of uses for until you start having one around with a decent selection of blades. Then you'll wonder why you didn't have one sooner.

I'm on a domestic rewire this week and so far mine has been used for cutting through plaster to brick depth to keep the edges neat, cutting exposed floorboards with minimal damage, cutting through old metal conduits to make space under floors, cutting wooden braces for floor supports, and cutting neat holes for trunking access.

Plenty other uses too on different jobs.

Reply to Essential starter power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net