Discuss Extending power lead from mains adapter to speakers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

justnod

Hi

I want to set up some speakers in our bathroom. I intend to use computer style speakers (15v, 1.1A) powered by a mains adapter with music supplied by battery operated MP3 player. My plan was to plug in the adapter in the loft and lead the low voltage cable through a duct into the bathroom. I have a few questions:

a) Is it OK to break and extend the low-voltage cable that runs from the mains adapter to the speakers and, if so, is there any particular type of connector I should use when I have broken and extended the cable?

b) Do I need to keep the extended cable to a maximum length?

c) Do the speakers need to be placed within a specific bathroom zone as defined by regulations?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
PC speakers are not very suitable for a wet environment.

For the 15V dc cable: just solder them together or use a connector block, heatshrink it and on the other end put the jack plug which fits the
speakers. The PSU has to be a fully encapsulated regulated PSU with mains transformer - not a switch PSU!
The cable lenght shouldn't matter, really.

Thanks for reply.

I accept that speakers might not be ideal but I didn't want to shell out a fortune for something "more suitable". However if you have any advice as to what type of speakers I should consider, I'd be open to suggestions. I need them to be something that I can just plug MP3 player into without any additional amplification.

I confess I don't know the difference between a "fully encapsulated" PSU and a switch PSU. My plan was just to use the one that comes with the speakers.

Do you know if speakers can be placed in Zone 2?

Thanks re suggested gadget - it's a possible. Unfortunately I have a wife and 2 kids to contend with so cranking up the volume is not really an option!

Reply to Extending power lead from mains adapter to speakers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net