Discuss Extension cord usage for inflatable hot tub? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. I live in MA, in case it has any bearing. My daughters gave me an inflatable hot tub, and my question is re: using an extension cord to plug it in. I had one several yrs ago plugged into one of my outside outlets but they're not working at present (only 1 is attached to the house so I guess theres an issue with the wiring between then, circuit breakers are fine, untripped). Only the outside outlets and basement have circuit breakers, the rest of the house has fuses. Can I use a 12g extension to plug this in? It will likely be set to 80 continually, raised to 100 for a cpl of hrs per night and set up in a shelter logic dome 'shed' and plugged into the closest basement outlet.20191231_154144.jpg

Hello. I live in MA, in case it has any bearing. My daughters gave me an inflatable hot tub, and my question is re: using an extension cord to plug it in. I had one several yrs ago plugged into one of my outside outlets but they're not working at present (only 1 is attached to the house so I guess theres an issue with the wiring between then, circuit breakers are fine, untripped). Only the outside outlets and basement have circuit breakers, the rest of the house has fuses. Can I use a 12g extension to plug this in? It will likely be set to 80 continually, raised to 100 for a cpl of hrs per night and set up in a shelter logic dome 'shed' and plugged into the closest basement outlet.View attachment 55039
Hi Sharon and welcome to the forum. I think there is nothing wrong with your wiring I believe one of the GFCI receptacles are tripped if you look at them they have a reset button. Check that and see if that’s the problem and please do not use a drop cord unless it is plugged into a GFCI receptacle

Hi Sharon and welcome to the forum. I think there is nothing wrong with your wiring I believe one of the GFCI receptacles are tripped if you look at them they have a reset button. Check that and see if that’s the problem and please do not use a drop cord unless it is plugged into a GFCI receptacle
I checked the outside outlets as well as the basement outlets which connect to the circuit breaker; none of them has a reset button. It doesn't seem too difficult to do so I'm going to go to the hardware store and buy a couple to replace the outlets closest to where the hot tub will be. I will make sure to turn off all of the electricity before I do so. I might not need much of extension if the outlet is close enough. Thank you for your reply.

I checked the outside outlets as well as the basement outlets which connect to the circuit breaker; none of them has a reset button. It doesn't seem too difficult to do so I'm going to go to the hardware store and buy a couple to replace the outlets closest to where the hot tub will be. I will make sure to turn off all of the electricity before I do so. I might not need much of extension if the outlet is close enough. Thank you for your reply.
Just install GFCI receptacles and good luck

20200107_150150.jpg20200107_150150.jpgdue to flash you can't see the green light is lit. Next step is finding the right extension cord, 10g probably?

I'm none to au fait with US rules but as Megawatt states that receptacle needs to be contained within an enclosure.

Reply to Extension cord usage for inflatable hot tub? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net