Discuss Exterior festoon lights - attached to interior light switch - how? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

zapmenot

DIY
Reaction score
We wanted to hang festoon lights in the garden and have them switched from inside the house and my builder (4 years ago) installed a '10A 3 Pin Weathertight Socket'* on the exterior wall of our house.
Now we are (finally) trying to get the lights and all the festoon lights I can find have 'normal' UK (interior) plugs on them.

I thought I could cut the 'normal' plug off and attach a plug for the '10A 3 Pin Weathertight Socket' but the only plug I can find to fit** does not seem to be designed to work with a 'normal' cable*** - like the one on the lights.

Is there some kind of plug I can get to fit the socket (and cut the normal/interior plug off the lights)?
Or an adaptor?
Should I replace the '10A 3 Pin Weathertight Socket' with a Weathersafe IP66 13amp 'normal'**** socket?
Or how should I otherwise attach a strip of exterior festoon lights to an exterior position that is switched on a lightswitch inside the kitchen?

Thanks for any advice.

* First picture
** Second picture
*** Third picture
**** Fourth picture

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 11.12.56.png
    819.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 11.13.10.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220211_113134211.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 11.26.53.png
    965.7 KB · Views: 4
If this is off a normal light switch inside, off the lighting circuit… and the festoon lights will not be required to be unplugged at any time, then the plug/socket combo could be replaced with a joint box.

If you replace the socket with a standard 13A socket, then you have the risk of someone plugging in something other than the lighting, and overloading the circuit breaker.

Did your builder at the time ensure this circuit is RCD protected as it should have been at the time it was installed.

Did your builder at the time ensure this circuit is RCD protected as it should have been at the time it was installed.
I believe it was on an RCD protected circuit.
Can you please tell me what you mean by a joint box.
Something like this picture?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 15.05.19.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 0
Nothing too industrial.
Something like this would do. With the appropriate glands fitted

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/schne...rectangular-junction-box-with-knockouts/63295

Nothing too industrial.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/schne...rectangular-junction-box-with-knockouts/63295
Thanks - I was trying to find out the name of the bit that the cable passes through - and you have helped be out with that one too. Cheers.

Nothing too industrial.

Thats not the ones where the lids almost fall off if you touch them is it?

I believe it was on an RCD protected circuit.
Can you please tell me what you mean by a joint box.
Something like this picture?
Thanks again.

Nothing too industrial.

If the cable is coming out through the brickwork - is there an adaptor to make sure water does not get in behind - and would you just cut a hole in the back of this box - or is there a knockout? Or are there boxes designed for this (that I don't seem to be able to find)?

Whiska box with some cable glands would be good.

Swap out that useless 10a outlet for a standard 16a blue ceeform outlet and just stick a 16a plug on the end of your festoon.

Reply to Exterior festoon lights - attached to interior light switch - how? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net