Discuss Failed EPC in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes agree that doesn't add up. The rating should be more like C at least.
not with an old back boiler it wouldn't, but I would have thought it would be a high E / low D with the PV.

I'm assuming it must be detached, which also makes a fair amount of difference as it's got all 4 walls losing heat to the outside.

I'd think the best bet is going to be to persuade the customer to wait to submit the fit application until the boiler is sorted out, and see if they can bring that forward - renewable heat premium payments have just doubled which might help?

Do another EPC but don't use the Product Characteristics Database use SAP instead. On the Stroma software you can select pre 1998 LPG with open flue. There is no drop down for an LPG back boiler.

I still think this job would gain a D anyway. It would if I was doing the EPC ;)

Did you all know your assessor can do a lodge EPC befor before the install then you can ask them to give you a draft copy with the solar panels on so you can see the rating of the house with solar in draft ?

its common sense !

if you sold the system and said you would get the higher tarriff and it does not then your stuffed but if you told them it depend on the EPC the you are ok.

Did you all know your assessor can do a lodge EPC befor before the install then you can ask them to give you a draft copy with the solar panels on so you can see the rating of the house with solar in draft ?

its common sense !

if you sold the system and said you would get the higher tarriff and it does not then your stuffed but if you told them it depend on the EPC the you are ok.
yes, but unfortunately the EPC bodies got firmly instructed that if the EPC assessor did this, then he still had to go back and take full pictures of everything again after the installation before lodging the EPC to include the solar panels, so doing a pre and post install epc means 2 full visits to site.

All of which is a complete waste of time and money and results in situations like this, but that's what happens when the body that's charged by parliament with reducing the regulatory burden on the energy industry is also the body charged with setting the rules, and trying to use every trick in the book to keep fit costs down for government.

The original way of doing things was far more sensible, doing the EPC visit prior to the solar installation, then just accepting a photo and MCS cert as evidence that the solar installation had been carried out. But Ofgem don't do sensible.

Gavin your missing my point

if the EPC rating is below a D with no solar

then get your assessor to add solar to see if it goes higher than a D

THEN you know its safe to install!

so after the install get a new EPC with solar so its higher than a D

Whats all this agro. about EPC I do electrical work for Landlords, they obtain ECP for every property, they dont carry out any recomendations
and future tenents dont ask for a copy of the EPC. So what is the point, seems like another Govenment ripoff.

Gavin your missing my point

if the EPC rating is below a D with no solar

then get your assessor to add solar to see if it goes higher than a D

THEN you know its safe to install!

so after the install get a new EPC with solar so its higher than a D

the point is its still two trips to site, one before and one after!

jes I know its two trips I not on about that , I am saying instead of being dumb enough to install solar before the epc , if the house is below a D when you have an EPC ask the assessor to see what it goes to when you add solar !!!!

so then you know when you fit the panels it will make the grade!

its common sense

I KNOW ITS TWO TRIPS!!!

jes I know its two trips I not on about that , I am saying instead of being dumb enough to install solar before the epc , if the house is below a D when you have an EPC ask the assessor to see what it goes to when you add solar !!!!

so then you know when you fit the panels it will make the grade!

its common sense

I KNOW ITS TWO TRIPS!!!

Give up mate penny hasn't dropped

Whats all this agro. about EPC I do electrical work for Landlords, they obtain ECP for every property, they dont carry out any recomendations
and future tenents dont ask for a copy of the EPC. So what is the point, seems like another Govenment ripoff.

It is to do with the FIT (feed in tariff) for solar panels, a house must achieve a minimum of band D to be eligible for this payment, just more complex government rules that is all..

I hope this helps.

Give up mate penny hasn't dropped
no the penny has dropped - why do you think that the 2 posters who no longer fit solar are the 2 being smart arses about it, and all the installers still working in the field are telling you this is a problem?

2 visits = £100, and 2 visits to arrange for the EPC assessor with customers who might not be available through the day, etc.

The original situation was fairly sensible, where we'd get an initial EPC carried out but not logged, then just send the MCs cert to the assessor after the job and they'd then log the EPC cert without needing a second visit. The current situation's just overly complex and either adding extra costs for no good reason, or resulting in installers gambling that a house will make a D as seems to have been the case here.

The second visit is quicker than a drive by shooting :) a draft can be done before install too ask your Dea before customers become loosers
there is another way too rather than a second visit from a Dea take a pic of install with date and time on it from the ground and send it to him that's what he would have anyway if Dea was to do a 2nd visit

The second visit is quicker than a drive by shooting :) a draft can be done before install too ask your Dea before customers become loosers
there is another way too rather than a second visit from a Dea take a pic of install with date and time on it from the ground and send it to him that's what he would have anyway if Dea was to do a 2nd visit

This is what has been happening until the EPC body started crying and told all DEA to go back and do another full bloody report! because the MCS cert and photos wasnt enough - well thats what the straight DEA are doing anyway.

Reply to Failed EPC in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net