Discuss Fixing cables before dot and dab in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Doing a kitchen refurb and adding and extending some sockets and extending the cooker circuit. Builder is going to dot and dab the walls next week just getting people’s opinions on the best method for fixing cables. Clipped direct to the wall or in oval tube or capped?
Also 25mm or 35mm boxes for the sockets and spurs?

Cheers

In a perfect world I would try to pull cables back to the nearest point rather than jointing

But if you have to joint wagos are really nice to use

I capped a load of cables a while back just before the muck spreaders moved in.. “what you doing that for? The other spark didnt bother” - RAF then..
“Why have you put cardboard in all your boxes?” - beacause you are RAF :tearsofjoy:
Trouble with using conduit instead of capping is the sweating factor..

Yeah will use capping for the cables and 35mm boxes chased in about 10mm.
If jointing using wagos would it be ok to join them in the existing flush box and run the cables to the new box? Just thinking that once the walls are done the joints will no longer be accessible.

Yeah the cables are just being extended with the new sockets going directly below. The other cables will be clipped to the ceiling joists which are going to be battened off and boarded at a later date.

Plastic capping and 35mm KO boxes every single time

Capped if dot and dab, oval conduit if chasing out existing.

35mm boxes throughout, 47mm for cooker & switches.

Why 35mm boxes? They would jut out beyond the plasterboard? 25mm boxes seem to fit perfectly with dot and dab. Deeper boxes if the builder is using battens.

This all depends on the condition of the walls. I think 25mm boxes,with good walls and a plasterer who can,would be looking at you.
To judge what boxes and cable fixing method is suitable,you need to run a straight edge and level,across.

You can put in whatever you want....if the plasterer is rough,and the drywall adhesive keeps coming....

Think I’ll run the cables in and get the customer to call the plasterer tomorrow and see what he says.
For extending the cooker circuit I was going to mount a wago junction box with 733 6mm connectors fixed up to the ceiling joists. That way when the ceiling is boarded it won’t matter as it will be a mf connection. Or has anyone got a better method?

Thanks

Reply to Fixing cables before dot and dab in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock