Discuss G83/1-1 Connect and Inform in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claypole

Firstly a huge thanks to all the regular contributors on here and other boards for a first class education on all things solar pv. As a mere consumer with no spark qualification I'm almost certainly about to lay myself open to be shot down in flames but the ramifications if I'm correct are significant so here goes anyway.

Take a typical solar pv install with a nominal 3kwp array, and an inverter certified G83/1 compliant and certified max ouput 3kw. In other words, regardless of your personal preference for defining TIC, DNC etc this will any way up fall easily within G83/1 relaxation and 1st FIT band rate (assuming it's the only generator on site.)

My clear understanding is that whilst this obviates you of the need to make any pre-application to the DNO you MUST nevertheless notify the DNO within 28 days of install using an "Installation Commissioning Confirmation" form (G83/1-1 Appendix 3).

During conversation with an experienced insataller, with many pv installs under the belt, it became apparent that his equally clear view was that this was not necessary. His only registration was with MCS and that satisfied the requirements. I just don't see how this can be? I've located the Ofgem FIT register guide and even downloaded the register data for 2010 and nowhere can I see any mention of the DNO. You might argue that the FIT application would take care of this but I presume this could be made to any supplier, not necessarily within the relevant DNO and in any event the customer for whatever reason might not make a FIT application. Am I missing something? Comments please, but don't knock me down too hard. (And apologies to the installer concerned - no offence intended just wanting to canvas further opinion and perhaps discover what I'm missing)

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that the DNO must be informed. The DNO and the MCS are concerned with entirely different things. The MCS are only concerned with your installation. The DNO are concerned with their network and the potential load on it.

If the DNO is not informed then they have no way of checking the potential load on their system.

Also, the FIT application is made by the customer and only to the energy supplier. Once again, this has absolutely nothing to do with the DNO.

Thanks BiggsSolar, that's exactly my take on it and I now have visions of scores of G83/1-1 generaters that the DNO is wholly unaware of. I don't fully understand the ramifications of this in technical terms but presumably there is a very valid concern for the DNO to be fully aware of the true picture in each area. Any additional input people ? Or if you're in full agreement with this perhaps just a short yes response to add some weight.

Yes, DNO Installation & Commissioning Confirmation Forms must be sent within 28days. Some DNO's then send a letter out to confirm acceptance, the others dont bother.

The problem with microgeneration is that the distribution network was never intend to feed both ways. Imagine if everyone in your street suddenly fitted a PV array and connected it to the grid. There is potential that the network would not be able to cope with this extra burden. Therefore the DNO needs to keep up to date with what is connecting to it's system. This is why two or more G83 installations in the same place undertaken at the same time would both need to be notified prior to connection.

I'd say that a company that is in the practice of connecting to the grid and not informing the DNO are setting themselves up for a bucket load of problems.

After all, it takes literally minutes to inform the DNO anyway, so what's the issue?

G83 has exemption from pre-application to the DNO based on the conditions as laid out in the Electrical Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations (ESQCRs). See section 22 of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2665/made

But this carries the condition that the DNO is notified on or after commissioning. This was later changed to 'within 28 days' by the Health & Safety Executive -

The G83 regulations are explained in http://2010.energynetworks.org/storage/DGCG G83 S1 Nov2010.pdf - see the section on Notification Timescales.

There is no automatic flow of data from MCS to the DNOs so MCS registration cannot be relied upon and the forms available from the DNO should be used to inform them. This is essential as the installer is confirming, by their signature on the form, that the system as installed complies with all the G83 requirements.

If the DNO is not informed appropriately then they have the right to disconnect the premises from the grid.

Reply to G83/1-1 Connect and Inform in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net