Discuss Garage Metalwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So how do you feel about running in a suitably sized separate CPC that can take care of both the bonding and circuit protective conductor in the event of your DNO supply being PME'ed?? In the meantime it can be used as a link to an additional earth rod position at the garage via the garage EMT back to the MET in the house, and providing a suitable means of bonding to the extraneous water pipe in the garage. The TT rods can be left connected to the MET/EMT if and when a PME connection has been made available....

As davesparks has suggested, the existing Ra can be significantly improved from 14 ohms with a little thought and effort. Plus the lower the Ra achieved, will make all the difference if and when a PME earth is provided by the DNO, not to mention the existing TT system....

So how do you feel about running in a suitably sized separate CPC that can take care of both the bonding and circuit protective conductor in the event of your DNO supply being PME'ed?? In the meantime it can be used as a link to an additional earth rod position at the garage via the garage EMT back to the MET in the house, and providing a suitable means of bonding to the extraneous water pipe in the garage. The TT rods can be left connected to the MET/EMT if and when a PME connection has been made available....

As davesparks has suggested, the existing Ra can be significantly improved from 14 ohms with a little thought and effort. Plus the lower the Ra achieved, will make all the difference if and when a PME earth is provided by the DNO, not to mention the existing TT system....
It's definitely doable. That's a good call actually, the house next door to me was converted to PME when they had the cutout moved during a kitchen extension and they are fed from the same string of overhead lines. That was two years ago.

Right now we have established it is a separate electrical installation, I would follow Dave and E54s advice , also as I said in post #17
"my gut feeling would have been to make my sub-main 6mm 3 core, as it is TT, or possibly even 10mm in case they ever update it to PME, especially if it is buried."

I speak from experience here :) lol as this happened to me a few years ago lol, luckily we had ducted the SWA cable, the DNO had updated the OH supply to ABC cabling and converted everyone in that area from TT to PME, they sent letters to every householder warning of the need to get their bonding checked, we had only laid the sub-main about 7 month previously.

Now I consider that the price difference of 10mm to 6mm SWA to be negligible on domestic installs compared to the cost of upheaval of replacing unless it is very simple to do.

Edit: and run a local MPB from the incoming water pipe (in the garage) to the garage CU EMET.

Last edited:

Reply to Garage Metalwork in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net