Discuss GU4 LED downlights not working (LED Driver fine, can't find cables, connectors or housing) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, any help much appreciated here...

I've two LED downlights in the kitchen and can't get them working.

They work using a 2-pin plug like this

GU4 LED downlights not working (LED Driver fine, can't find cables, connectors or housing) 20180714_172400 - EletriciansForums.net

...and at the other end of the cable, the bulb connects to this...

GU4 LED downlights not working (LED Driver fine, can't find cables, connectors or housing) 20180714_172351 - EletriciansForums.net

... this bit sits in the below housing...

GU4 LED downlights not working (LED Driver fine, can't find cables, connectors or housing) 20180714_172329 - EletriciansForums.net

I know my LED driver is fine, because there's a third downlight on the same circuit. I've plugged it in to each of the driver outlets and it works in every one.

So the problem is somewhere between the plug (first image), cable, bulb socket, or housing.

Unless anyone recommends otherwise, I just want to replace all the bits and pieces, but I can't find them anywhere. I've been to a couple of major outlets and nobody seems to know what they're called. I've searched online and not got much further.

Can anyone point me towards either what the problem might be, and if so where I could get replacement parts? Ideally, the cable would have the right connectors attached - I'm not confident I could wire them up with the tools I have, looks quite fiddly.

Could the housing be the problem? I don't see how that could happen, because the bulb plugs directly in to the socket at one end of the cable.

It's odd, because I can't see any broken connections on the cable or really anything wrong with any of it. It seems such a simple circuit, but here it is, not working!

Would appreciate any help anyone's willing to give. Can provide more info if needed, but that's all I can think of for now.

Cheers,

Eddie

Impossible to diagnose from afar.

As for replacement parts, if you think it's all a bit fiddly sorry to say get some help.

Presume youve tried the known good led in the other fittings?

The molex style plugs are normally fairly reliable but the G4 lamp holder is two very thin tubes that take the bulb pins and these have probably become distorted so that the bulbs pins miss the connection.
Generally the lamp holder is not designed to be removed from the fitting, you may be able to buy a ready made cable assembly (presumably the manufacturers of the fittings get them) but it would require searching around to see who makes them. Probably readily available from China!
It would probably be easiest to buy a set of 3 G4 halogen cabinet lights and use the parts from that to fit your existing fittings.

Presume youve tried the known good led in the other fittings?
Thanks - yes I've tried it in all the LED driver outlets and the good one works fine in each. Definitely a problem with cable/connections/housing (bulbs also tested fine).

EDIT: I think by driver I mean junction box, with 6 2-pin molex outlets

Last edited:
The molex style plugs are normally fairly reliable but the G4 lamp holder is two very thin tubes that take the bulb pins and these have probably become distorted so that the bulbs pins miss the connection.
Generally the lamp holder is not designed to be removed from the fitting, you may be able to buy a ready made cable assembly (presumably the manufacturers of the fittings get them) but it would require searching around to see who makes them. Probably readily available from China!
It would probably be easiest to buy a set of 3 G4 halogen cabinet lights and use the parts from that to fit your existing fittings.

Thanks so much - that's massively helpful. Not least because you've told me all the correct nomenclature... gets me a lot closer to finding the bits I'll need, all looks cheap enough, just need to find the right bits to go together... didn't realise the setup is better known as "cabinet" light rather than "downlight", even though in my house they're used as downlights. Also "G4 lamp holder" was a term I hadn't tried searching for, which has given me some good results.

Hats off to you sir!

No i mean have you taken the actual led bulb out of a broken fitting and placed it into the one that lights up

No i mean have you taken the actual led bulb out of a broken fitting and placed it into the one that lights up
Yes I've done that - bulbs are fine. I've just ordered replacement parts (now I know what they're called!) so fingers crossed that will be me sorted, thanks again for your help!

Reply to GU4 LED downlights not working (LED Driver fine, can't find cables, connectors or housing) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock