Discuss hi, long term unemployed, looking to train to becoming electrician what course?THANKS in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

technokaz

Hi all, new to this site.

im 23 years old and basically the situation im in is not looking so good, no job, no qualification, nothing. wanting to get back into college and study to become electrician.

in 08/09 i successfully passed level 2 electrotechnical nvq/c&g 2330 when i was 19/20 but without any onsite/real world experience. never found an electrician to work with therefore have forgotten quite a bit of the course but im sure a few weeks i can pick it up easily, found the course quite easy especially the calculation side and practical.

im looking to get back into the electrical field, i want to START FRESH. i dont have any placement/apprenticeship but want to get onto course and during the year try to find placement and/or work for free with an electrician. derby college are offering the below courses (part time but looking full time), which one should i go for?

Derby College-part time Construction - Electrical Installation - fee - exam fee
c & g 2377 portable Appliance test 325 90
c & g 2382-10 17th iee Wiring regulations 235 40
c & g 2382-10 iee Wiring regulations 17th edition 265 40
C & G 2391 Inspection Test and Certificate 385 90 electrical installation
Advanced Apprenticeship in c & g 2357 Diploma poA poA electrical installation
Advanced Apprenticeship in c & g 2357 Diploma contact us contact us poA poA y n

and also how much would it cost to become electrician in regards to tuition fees??????(break down per year please if poss) also anyone looking to take me on for free, i will do labouring for free for whole year if i can gain experience/placement.

thanks.

Re: hi, long term unemployed, looking to train to becoming electrician what course?TH

A couple of points you need to be aware of if you are claiming JSA. You risk losing your benefits if you undertake more than 16 hours of education or training within any period of 8 days, this effectively rules out any 3, 4 or 5 day industry standard short courses. Also if you work voluntary for an electrical contractor DWP may well require a statement from the employer stating the number of hours training that will be given per week. See the link below which gives general information about volunteering whilst claiming benefit.
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dwp1023.pdf

Re: hi, long term unemployed, looking to train to becoming electrician what course?TH

on the plus side, you might get JSP to pay for courses. but you may have to do them 1 day a week/evenings so you can still claim JSA. pm sent.

thanks peeps, much appreciated. do you reckon i should re-do level 2 or continue with level 3?

go to level 3. at the same time do 2382. once you have them, consider 2391, or whatever it is then.

ud better do it qucik tho fella, my college enrollment was TODAY. I cant imagine them being open for much longer as the courses all start soon

thanks lads, went to enrol at college. they not doing 2365 yet as it has just been released. they offered me 2330 level 3, 1 year course, huge cost though at £1699 & "£165 for exam, no funding by derby college or alg as goverment stopped funding course + im over 18. not asked jsa yet.

they said i have to cough up cost or come back next year and do 2365 which is little harder and 2 year course but funding available for that.

what do you guys reckon i should do>>????????????????

try JSP for funding first. if no joy, try for any sort of job for 12 months ( if it's going to give you more income than benefits). and get the funding for next year.

i just thinking paying £1800+. saves me 1 year BUT i need to work with an electrician, theory one thing but PRACTICAL is another.

course starts on 13/09 and lecturers have told me i can enrol 4 weeks after course starts as i was a good student. ANYONE WILLING TO TAKE ME ON, I WILL WORK FOR FREE, DERBY AREA PLEASE.

get yourself on a course if your not already i am on JSA and doing my level 2 electrical installation i can do up to 16 hours a week you also get a discount you have to apply to the learning support fund but this is done through the college they do this with you and is pretty staight forward i am applying to it for my 17th edition, 2392 test and inspect and PAT testing certificate which comes to £1045 i get it for £230.

Reply to hi, long term unemployed, looking to train to becoming electrician what course?THANKS in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock