Discuss How can I tell what model alarm I have? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

cable_guy

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I never set my alarm. there was a power cut today, and when I got in from work my house alarm went off. I managed to turn it off with the help of a kind neighbour by taking out this fuse next to the alarm and disconnecting the battery inside the alarm, and I will need to now suss out what's gone wrong, but I don't know what model my alarm is, does anyone know how I can tell please?

imag0026s.jpg

imag0029ur.jpg

imag0028c.jpg

bloody hell, that was good service!! thanks very much! May I ask from which bit you knew that?

WHOA - just pressed refresh and jaresquire had replied with my actual solution!!! thanks loads!!

Is there a problem with the battery then?

Is all I need to do connect up a new battery and press reset? what happens if it keeps going off? Is there a way to turn it off please?

thanks again!

Last edited:
Normally the 'External Warning Device' ie the Bellbox outside has its own battery and will sound if the alarm panel is dead or destroyed. It seems like your outside battery is already knackered. The battery in your picts may recharge if left for a day or two but then again may be passed it. Power up the panel by mains first, then attach the battery.
As the alarm isn't used normally there may be any number of problems which you wouldn't have noticed. Of all the alarm kit in its price range, Texecom is very solid.

again, response so quick is great of you, thanks.

Is the reason you think the bell box battery is knackered because of the fact that the alarm stopped going off when I unplugged the internal battery in the picture and it stopped?

How much do you reckon it'd cost to get a spark in to disable the alarm and render it defunct? Or have I done that already in a cack-handed way?

good grief mate, I have no ladder to reach that high, I wonder whether to invite an electrician round to do it? Will that job be too small though? :(

wonder why this has happened. It's the first time the electric has been off since I had my fuse box replaced (had a load of work done, bonded to my water/gas pipes, rcd upgraded etc) I wonder if that's significant.

Like many micro-controller/micro processor items, a electrical 'brown out' or a surge etc can make them throw a wobbly. With intruder alarms the result is usually inconvenient.
Any ladder -safe volunteer could do the job, how friendly is that neighbour?

just put the lid back on. and forget it. if the battery in the outside sounder is flat/knackered it will not sound again. unless you want the alarm working, then a good spark should be able to fix it for a sensible fee.

sensible? any ideas?

Depends where in the country you are my friend.

If you're looking for a fault find/service/restore to operation, then no more than £100 or so.

If you're just looking to have the system essentially handed to you in a box, as it were, call out fee, probably around £30 - £60 depending on who you call.

that's about what i would charge, Bill. £40 call-out to put together unpowered. £80 - £100 to reinstate in working order, including sorting the rat's nest out.

Last edited:
thanks for those prices, help me a lot. Assuming by "rats nest" you mean all the jumbled wires in my wall panel part of the alarm under the stairs, would you mind me asking why this would need sorting? thanks.

because it's a mess. no self respecting electrician or alarm engineer would create such an untidy rat's nest and if i were to service the system, i would tidy it up as a matter of professional pride. By the way, what area do do live in?

because it's a mess. no self respecting electrician or alarm engineer would create such an untidy rat's nest and if i were to service the system, i would tidy it up as a matter of professional pride. By the way, what area do do live in?

fair enough! I would have no idea if that was untidy or not!

Stoke.

my son lives in trent vale if you pm me your mobile, i'll call in when next i'm there

Reply to How can I tell what model alarm I have? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net