Discuss Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Answers in red.

What are you trying to achieve with these questions?
Hi davesparks, nothing in particular just a few things I was pondering out of interest that's all.
Anyway, I think I will leave this thread now as there seems nowhere else for it to go...
Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

All the best!

Hi davesparks, nothing in particular just a few things I was pondering out of interest that's all.
Anyway, I think I will leave this thread now as there seems nowhere else for it to go...
Thanks for your time, much appreciated.

All the best!

Maybe you could answer my questions first before you leave this thread? Particularly by what exactly you mean by RMC?

Maybe you could answer my questions first before you leave this thread? Particularly by what exactly you mean by RMC?
Hello again, yes sorry... I should have said old threaded 20mm black steel conduit. You were correct in your assumption of the terminology, Rigid Metal Conduit.

I would have normally said the old threaded type... I picked up the terminology from a friend of mine who has recently had some bright galvanised conduit surface mounted around their entire property, its a sort of 'trendy' thing they have commissioned to create an industrial look against old re-pointed brickwork. Actually looks good along side the reclaimed rustic timbers that they also utilised...

Thanks again davesparks

Hello again, yes sorry... I should have said old threaded 20mm black steel conduit. You were correct in your assumption of the terminology, Rigid Metal Conduit.

I would have normally said the old threaded type... I picked up the terminology from a friend of mine who has recently had some bright galvanised conduit surface mounted around their entire property, its a sort of 'trendy' thing they have commissioned to create an industrial look against old re-pointed brickwork. Actually looks good along side the reclaimed rustic timbers that they also utilised...

Thanks again davesparks

As I said, I've not heard it described as 'rigid metal conduit' in the UK before.

Yes that 'industrial look' has become popular, prompting a lot of badly installed steel conduit to appear in high street shops and restaurants l.

As I said, I've not heard it described as 'rigid metal conduit' in the UK before.

Yes that 'industrial look' has become popular, prompting a lot of badly installed steel conduit to appear in high street shops and restaurants l.
Yes indeed a shop they own in London... Never paid much attention to the actual installation but looks good all the same.

Cheers and have a Happy one...

Ok guys following your advice with sourcing used or new old stock and a chat with a retired Electrician, I have decided to have the CU converted to a double RCD unit. This is bearing in mind that the initial EICR recommended having the lighting put on an RCD circuit too.

We have found this RCCB on eBay, see photo, and have a photo of the CU with cover off. However, I have noticed that they look different despite the fact that the serial/product numbers on the RCCB's are the exact same. I cannot find another one like this and also there is a strange, non-switched, unit to the left of the RCCB with a L sticker on it. Is this a part of the RCCB or some other kind of device?

Thanks...

Attachments

• Merlin Gerin multi9 RCCB 63A.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Existing RCCB.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 17
Ok guys following your advice with sourcing used or new old stock and a chat with a retired Electrician, I have decided to have the CU converted to a double RCD unit. This is bearing in mind that the initial EICR recommended having the lighting put on an RCD circuit too.

We have found this RCCB on eBay, see photo, and have a photo of the CU with cover off. However, I have noticed that they look different despite the fact that the serial/product numbers on the RCCB's are the exact same. I cannot find another one like this and also there is a strange, non-switched, unit to the left of the RCCB with a L sticker on it. Is this a part of the RCCB or some other kind of device?

Thanks...
Rather than faffing with trying to alter your existing CU a better option would be to swap the entire CU, a bit more expensive, but far better in the grand scheme of things, good luck

Rather than faffing with trying to alter your existing CU a better option would be to swap the entire CU, a bit more expensive, but far better in the grand scheme of things, good luck
Oh! Pete999, very controversial in terms of the earlier replies to this post... Your'e looking for a fight haha
[automerge]1578671718[/automerge]
As above fiddling with second hand parts to convert into something it isn't intended for is not recommended. Where are you going to fit this second rcd.
Two spare fuse ways to come out and a gap...
[automerge]1578671806[/automerge]
Oh! Pete999, very controversial in terms of the earlier replies to this post... Your'e looking for a fight haha
[automerge]1578671718[/automerge]

Two spare fuse ways to come out and a gap...
Why would it not be intended for? The same arrangement already exists on the other side!

Merlin Gerin never produced dual rcd boards so you will not be able to obtain the correct parts to ensure it complies to manufactures specifications.

Merlin Gerin never produced dual rcd boards so you will not be able to obtain the correct parts to ensure it complies to manufactures specifications.
Not at all Iain, common sense rules. Can't access your profile, So it would be wrong of me to assess your competency to make a comment like that, and no, I'm not looking for an argument or a fight, looks like you are though, sorry for spelling your name incorrectly by the way.

Last edited:
Are you still intending moving out of this house soon? If so then forget fiddling about cobbling things together and leave it for the next homeowner. They may well get their own sparky to change things to how they want them to be. Probably RCBOs.

Are you still intending moving out of this house soon? If so then forget fiddling about cobbling things together and leave it for the next homeowner. They may well get their own sparky to change things to how they want them to be. Probably RCBOs.

Didn't realise this thread was still going. I'd leave well alone as well. Let the next home owner rectify things, unless things are unsafe now.

Well according to the EICR, the Electrician recommended that the lighting be put on an RCD protected circuit. I assume that would be a good idea at any rate...

If we put our house on the market and in these times, it may not sell for a couple of years even though it's a good well maintained property.

In the earlier posts people have said the CU is of very high quality and more used in an industrial environment than in a domestic environment. Yes the board may not comply with today's standards but surely when this CU was made Merlin Gerin allowed for the scope to be broadened to suit any requirements especially as this CU is primarily intended for a commercial environment?

Well according to the EICR, the Electrician recommended that the lighting be put on an RCD protected circuit. I assume that would be a good idea at any rate...

If we put our house on the market and in these times, it may not sell for a couple of years even though it's a good well maintained property.

In the earlier posts people have said the CU is of very high quality and more used in an industrial environment than in a domestic environment. Yes the board may not comply with today's standards but surely when this CU was made Merlin Gerin allowed for the scope to be broadened to suit any requirements especially as this CU is primarily intended for a commercial environment?

Really depends on your intentions on whether to move or not. Thousands of properties have lighting circuits not protected by an RCD. Whilst of course it would make things safer, this is only a recent requirement for new properties.

If your intention is to stay put, get the rectifications carried out. If you intend to move, I really wouldn't bother. Not reading back, but I don't recall the EICR saying anything was unsafe?

Really depends on your intentions on whether to move or not. Thousands of properties have lighting circuits not protected by an RCD. Whilst of course it would make things safer, this is only a recent requirement for new properties.

If your intention is to stay put, get the rectifications carried out. If you intend to move, I really wouldn't bother. Not reading back, but I don't recall the EICR saying anything was unsafe?
Yes the report was satisfactory. I was thinking that this would be the least expensive method of making the installation safe as per the Electricians recommendations for the short term...

You are intent on doing it no matter what advice we give. Be interesting to know how you will adapt the busbar which is not designed for modification.

Reply to Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net