Discuss Installing an electric toothbrush charger in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GaryM90

DIY
Reaction score
I want to install a wall mounted toothbrush charger alongside a washbasin in a bedroom. Depending on what turns out to be the easiest option for routing the cable I intend to either wire this into the lighting circuit, which is protected in the CU by a 6A circuit breaker or take a spur off the ring main to a switched FCU with a 3A fuse then to the charger. My question is if I wire this into the lighting circuit do I need to install an isolating switch? Preferably I wud like not to have to do that, just more work.

Is this going to be a standard shaver socket you would find in any bathroom?

I can say that there is not usually an isolating switch before the socket when they are taken from a lighting circuit.
Please check that whatever circuit you come off has RCD protection... Lights being on RCD are a relatively new regulation, so may not be.

There is something in my head that there's been a discussion on this forum before about electric toothbrushes not being suitable for getting power from a shaver socket, although everyone does it.

I'm sure someone with a better memory will put me right (or someone that can be bothered to search for it!)

Hi mate, thks for your response. Yes all my circuits are RCD protected at the CU. The people who manufacture these wall mounted electric tooth brush chargers say that they are designed as a straight swap for a shaver outlet but I never really believe all what somebody trying to sell me something says so just thought I would check. From what I can tell from the images everything that u could potentially touch once installed is plastic so in reality probably even safer to have near a basin that a shaver socket.

Last edited:
It's the European two pin plug that 'fits' into a shaver socket, but shouldn't be. If the toothbrush is fitted with the correct shaver type plug, then it's fine.
Single plate sized, non isolated shaver sockets used to be available (MK did one, amongst others), but I've no idea if they are still available.
Edit: Just realised you probably mean a whole unit that fits to a 2G vertically fixed back box, intended to completely replace a shaver socket. Care is needed, as they have to be made to the appropriate standard.

At least this is to go near a basin in a bedroom, so doesn’t fit into the additional regulations required for a room containing a bath or shower.

Last edited:
Good point! I'd forgotten it wasn't a bathroom when I made the edit.
Most of these things will probably be fitted in bathrooms, so I'll leave the comment there.

It's the European two pin plug that 'fits' into a shaver socket, but shouldn't be. If the toothbrush is fitted with the correct shaver type plug, then it's fine.
Single plate sized, non isolated shaver sockets used to be available (MK did one, amongst others), but I've no idea if they are still available.
Edit: Just realised you probably mean a whole unit that fits to a 2G vertically fixed back box, intended to completely replace a shaver socket. Care is needed, as they have to be made to the appropriate standard.
Hi mate, there are probably some cheap Chinese made ones out there of dubious quality but the one I am buying meets CE standards & is stocked by reputable retailers like TLC so I am happy that it's safe. Thanks

Reply to Installing an electric toothbrush charger in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock