Discuss Instant tankless electric water heater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Best 14.4kw+ Single Phase Instant electric water heater exist in UK?

they are all about £1k include VAT, Comet look better from my view,but no idea it is good or not.

Does this really need a second thread when you already have one going on the same subject FFS!!

i'm not surprised youve not found much , 14.4kw is a whopping 63A on single phase.

can you not make do with a hot water bottle ?
;-)

Sorry, cause the content is changed,
in 1st thread I think about to get ecosmart and ask for opinion, during the discussion I know it is better to get a water heater in UK
in 2nd thread is ask about the best single phase electric water heater in the uk market, so ppl can know what I asking exactly after I changed mind.
So although the title are similar and 1st 3 line are the same 2 thread are discussing 2 difference topic(but for same purpose - get a fit water heater)

using kettle is a good idea,
Safe, easy to maintain and repair.

The only down size is taking 3hours to do a shower.

- - - Updated - - -

down side

Why do you need such a large instant water heater. As Biff pointed out it's going to require a single phase supply of over 60Amps which is rediculously large for a domestic hot water heater. Cant you install a small Stiebel Eltron or something similar with a small amount of storage capacity.

we`v just installed a potterton 9KW at a community centre in Leeds....
they require a seperate supply to the internal panel....
so this would be wired in 1.5 from the DP iso into an FCU....and then into the panel...
its slender...say about 250mm wide by about 900 tall....
its on a 10mm CSA flat twin fed by 40A b curve MCB

Why do you need such a large instant water heater. As Biff pointed out it's going to require a single phase supply of over 60Amps which is rediculously large for a domestic hot water heater. Cant you install a small Stiebel Eltron or something similar with a small amount of storage capacity.

So how many kw needed to support 2 shower at the same time during the winter + kitchen washing machine/dish washer?
14.4kw/60Amp seem a lot but that is talking about the peak usage during the winter time. Most of the time only will be about 1/3-1/2 of the max load. If I get an under power heater 2 showers can't operate at the same that will lose the point of having 2 bathroom really. The water heater only cost about 1-2% value of the flat itself it is really no point to save money by get an under power water heater.

Last edited by a moderator:
New question, Should I find electrician or plumber to install an instant electric water heater?
I googled it said find part P plumber are the best for this job?

So how many kw needed to support 2 shower at the same time during the winter + kitchen washing machine/dish washer?
14.4kw/60Amp seem a lot but that is talking about the peak usage during the winter time. Most of the time only will be about 1/3-1/2 of the max load. If I get an under power heater 2 showers can't operate at the same that will lose the point of having 2 bathroom really. The water heater only cost about 1-2% value of the flat itself it is really no point to save money by get an under power water heater.
With hot water requirements you can apply a certain amount of diversity same as you can apply to electrical peak loads. Unless you have a massive family or a small guest house I wouldn't size the heater to the maximum possible hot water requirement. I have 5 bathrooms with 3 showers and 2 baths between them and we have a 150litre HWC immersion heater, we don't ever run short of water even though the same sized cylinder would be used in a single bathroomed flat for example. I think you've convinced yourself you need a 14.4kW heater but I think it would be worth getting some professional advice from a plumber before committing to the capital outlay and high installation costs of such a large system.

In answer to your last question you can get anyone who's competent to perform the installation. I personally would get a plumber to install the heater and the pipework and get an electrician to install the supply and isolator etc.

With hot water requirements you can apply a certain amount of diversity same as you can apply to electrical peak loads. Unless you have a massive family or a small guest house I wouldn't size the heater to the maximum possible hot water requirement. I have 5 bathrooms with 3 showers and 2 baths between them and we have a 150litre HWC immersion heater, we don't ever run short of water even though the same sized cylinder would be used in a single bathroomed flat for example. I think you've convinced yourself you need a 14.4kW heater but I think it would be worth getting some professional advice from a plumber before committing to the capital outlay and high installation costs of such a large system.

In answer to your last question you can get anyone who's competent to perform the installation. I personally would get a plumber to install the heater and the pipework and get an electrician to install the supply and isolator etc.
Good idea, after I contacted the EHC 14.4kw manufacturer I notice that is not a instant electric water heater, it is design for central heater , now I plan to install the ZIP DEX12 11kw/48A model, I phoned several plumber and one of them did said what you said he need to get a quote from a electrician to know the whole cost of the project.

Reply to Instant tankless electric water heater? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net