Discuss insulation test before fitting an rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

134.2.1 of the good book tells you what you must achieve when adding too or altering an installation,it tells you how it can be achieved by test and inspection

The insulation resistance test is part of a series of tests that will verify if the standard has been complied with when adding or altering an installation

If you were to fit a consumer unit with an RCD (made an alteration to an existing installation)then the recomendations for the integrity of the insulation resistance of that installation (by comparing values with what is written in the good book )they can be verified as complying with the standard and the values that are suggested

You could even have earth leakage sufficient enough on an installation, that could trip an Rcd whether the insulation resistance was good bad or terrible
The test you are questioning is only one way of giving indication if there is system fault that would likely cause the Rcd to trip if it was fitted

The values that people have been referring too, are relevant when adding or altering an installation and initial verification,they are relevant for all work that you carry out

Thanks for your answer.
I think i now see what you and others are saying in that if you test after when you finish a job and the installation you just worked on is ****e and rigged with faults ect then they become your problem. Instead of just testing before hand so you know what your getting involved with?
What other ways could you test before fitting an rcd then?

I know that. I just read on some forum that it was good practise to do an insulation test before fitting an rcd, i assumed it was for nuisance tripping!.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Regs

Was asking why insulation test before fitting an rcd basically?

If you knew you wouldn't have posted that mate to be honest.

No-one is trying to score points here.
Maybe if you studied and grasped 'WHY' you did an IR test in the first place you wouldn't be getting confused with Rcd's and nuisance tripping which has absolutely nothing to do with it.
You won't get much help unless you know the basics mate..............too dangerous giving you advice when you don't understand this..............harsh but.............................

I know that. I just read on some forum that it was good practise to do an insulation test before fitting an rcd, i assumed it was for nuisance tripping!.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Regs

Was asking why insulation test before fitting an rcd basically?

If you knew you wouldn't have posted that mate to be honest.

No-one is trying to score points here.
Maybe if you studied and grasped 'WHY' you did an IR test in the first place you wouldn't be getting confused with Rcd's and nuisance tripping which has absolutely nothing to do with it.
You won't get much help unless you know the basics mate..............too dangerous giving you advice when you don't understand this..............harsh
but.............................

You still miss understand. Get the boot in, cheers

You still miss understand. Get the boot in, cheers

No regs, he doesnt mis understand, all he's said is you need a basic understanding of first principles which by your question you admit not to having.

its not a boot its sound advice.

I assume you're doing paid work somewhere from what you've posted. This isn't a boot either but you shouldn't be (if you are).

Also, theres no point asking a question but them not liking the answers.... Please don't be defensive because its you that has lost out at that point, as Murdoch said grow a thicker skin, laugh it off, in this thread there are pearls of wisdom.

sorry!

I know that. I just read on some forum that it was good practise to do an insulation test before fitting an rcd, i assumed it was for nuisance tripping!. After getting several replies and trying to decipher, my understanding now is its good practice to test anything before leaving your signature on it. Why people go round and round the houses on these forums is beyond me. Some simple answers would be so greatly appreciated, not just to myself. I've come to the simple conclusion that people are just way to quick to put the boot in!
They can try score as many points as they want, as mentioned above i would rather look silly and try get it right.......

From your profile:

[h=5]About Regs[/h]Location:essexOccupation:electrician[h=5]Electrical Information[/h]Information about your electrical experience.
What electrical qualifications do you have?:2391 17th
Are you sure ?????

Really??????????!!!!!!!!

Seems hard to believe considering in an earlier post about IR results and tripping of RCD,s the OP didnt know how to work out current flow! How could you pass the 2391 and not know Ohms law!

From your profile:

About Regs

Information about your electrical experience.
What electrical qualifications do you have?:2391 17th
Are you sure ?????

Really??????????!!!!!!!!

This thread should be in the learning area.

Stop reading my threads, no others have problems, infact they give good answers and help.
I just get misunderstood all the time. Im not going to keep explain and justify myself every post over and over and over. I understand the theory they teach that in a classroom but in the real world no 1 explains how to fill out sheets

I don't have to put up with harasment, why should i
i'm entitled to use the site just like any 1 else
Who is in charge on this web site?, let them make decisions, not u, get them on the phone to me i have nothing to hide! and they will see my lvl of experience to judge

Please leave me alone.

One reason for caring out the installation resistance test before fitting RCDs, RCBOs or RCD sockets was to prevent damaged to the RCD when caring out the test

Apology accepted, if i go to this other learners section or whatever will i still get decent advice? new to whole forum thing

The trainee learning forum is only available to those who are going to college or otherwise studying for a recognised qualification at present. It's designed to be a place where they can get supplementary assistance and tutoring in order to complete their course successfully. Its not a place for people who are working full time at customers premises to go when they're out of their depth, these guys should be working under an experienced sparky already who should be there to help if necessary.

Stop reading my threads, no others have problems, infact they give good answers and help.
I just get misunderstood all the time. Im not going to keep explain and justify myself every post over and over and over. I understand the theory they teach that in a classroom but in the real world no 1 explains how to fill out sheets

Who is in charge on this web site?, let them make decisions, not u, get them on the phone to me i have nothing to hide! and they will see my lvl of experience to judge

Please leave me alone.

Hum.... what you need to do is learn how to post properly thought out questions, along with how you aim to approach the "issue". By posting half baked tripe, you leave yourself wide open for ridicule. Plus, if you are still "learning" and meet the criteria of the learning area you would not be open to the world seeing your posts.

Don't post them in a public forum then.

Idiot (and a dangerous one at that).

Please leave me alone.

And whilst not learning in a customers home.

Disgusting IMHO.

Hum.... what you need to do is learn how to post properly thought out questions, along with how you aim to approach the "issue". By posting half baked tripe, you leave yourself wide open for ridicule. Plus, if you are still "learning" and meet the criteria of the learning area you would not be open to the world seeing your posts.

Reply to insulation test before fitting an rcd in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net