Discuss Is EIC required for this job (New CU & ring main) Electrician says no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I personally would Only issue one eir for both the cu and new loft circuit. A bit of a waste of time doing both lots of paperwork. As long as you state all works carried out on cert, and when notifying you tick both cu change and new circuit boxes that would be enough.

However there is nothing wrong with issuing 2 certs as dksanders suggests.
Just feel it is doing the same paperwork twice. And doing 2 lots of notification. I'd rather save both my time and customers money.

Hi, I've contacted an electrician to install a new consumer unit, as well as a new ring main into the loft. I asked if his quote included the appropriate certification, I assume an EIC, he said "as far as certification is concerned you don't need any as it's straight replacements", I checked my local council building control regs which state that "notifiable works include a) The installation of a new circuit; b) The replacement of a consumer unit"

So is he trying to save me £480 by not making a building regs application for a £100 consumer unit? Or is he cutting corners and I should look for someone else? He appears to be legit, positive reviews on Ratedpeople and accredited by NAPIT. Could you guys advise, I don't know enough about certification to call him out on this but I don't want a cowboy job that I'll regret later..

Can anyone help?
Hi, I've contacted an electrician to install a new consumer unit, as well as a new ring main into the loft. I asked if his quote included the appropriate certification, I assume an EIC, he said "as far as certification is concerned you don't need any as it's straight replacements", I checked my local council building control regs which state that "notifiable works include a) The installation of a new circuit; b) The replacement of a consumer unit"

So is he trying to save me £480 by not making a building regs application for a £100 consumer unit? Or is he cutting corners and I should look for someone else? He appears to be legit, positive reviews on Ratedpeople and accredited by NAPIT. Could you guys advise, I don't know enough about certification to call him out on this but I don't want a cowboy job that I'll regret later..

Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?
Hi only just seen this post, regarding the EIC, must be used as he is installing new circuits, minor works used only for alterations & additions to the original circuits.

I'd be more concerned at the '£100 consumer unit' !! If you're going to the trouble of changing it, then why not get a box full of RCBO's? Especially on an older system where there's likely to be issues... so more like £200...

Reply to Is EIC required for this job (New CU & ring main) Electrician says no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net