Discuss Is this the worst install you have ever seen? *Feedback wanted!* in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Terrible standard of work and personally if I was the customer here I would get trading standards in as this is worse than the builders electrics they had on cowboy builders.

To fix this job I would start from scratch
all cables wired in swa enclosed in kopex underground
All joints in suitable ip rated enclosure, with artic or reinforced flex glanded out ip enclosure to light fittings.

Switching
is there any local light switches I.e outside light if so drill through for your feed either fix swa to wall using cleats or enclose in 20/25mm PVC conduit with end box

And make sure you get your money back

Terrible standard of work and personally if I was the customer here I would get trading standards in as this is worse than the builders electrics they had on cowboy builders.

To fix this job I would start from scratch
all cables wired in swa enclosed in kopex underground
All joints in suitable ip rated enclosure, with artic or reinforced flex glanded out ip enclosure to light fittings.

Switching
is there any local light switches I.e outside light if so drill through for your feed either fix swa to wall using cleats or enclose in 20/25mm PVC conduit with end box

And make sure you get your money back

Thanks for your reply Jon I have told her to rip it out and demand all of the £1100 back from him as he has also done some other work to the garden like turfing and concreting and messed that up aswell!

I advised on a similar installation you have come up with when I was round earlier but take a supply to the shed and have power and lighting in there and a feed off this for the decking lights.

When she asked for receipts off him he just wrote figures down on a piece of paper as they could not justify the amounts he had spent. He then put in receipts for tools such as rachet, toolbag, wood saw, screwdrivers and a £50 B&Q voucher! It really does puzzle us what he's been upto!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

He was paid up front by my Auntie, I think it's going to be a struggle to get their money back but I'm sure the HSE would like to hear about it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Tell him to repay the money or you will report him to the Local Authority. This is notifiable work and he won't have notified. So that's one law broken, not to mention the dangerous nature of the work.

And are those flood lamps really meant to go in those lanterns, i don't think so.

I can just picture a kiddie poking their little fingers into one of those terminal blocks, or even putting one in their mouth. Whoever did that should serve time behind bars.

I can just picture a kiddie poking their little fingers into one of those terminal blocks, or even putting one in their mouth. Whoever did that should serve time behind bars.
If he,d done a job like that for one of my relations it would be me behind bars,he,d be in intensive care!

it's total tripe....my 11yr old son would design and install it better than that and that's with no training he just watched me around the house.

A child wouldn't even need to poke around the connectors...one trip on the decking with arms held out to break the fall and they'd stand a good chance of grabbing the unclipped cable's and ripping them out for starters.

Wrong bulb's,no earth's,no testing,no clipping,no basic cable protection,bad design,no water proofing of joints (not even a diyers insulation tape)....sure i've missed afew more bad/dangerous points.(i'd need that Clive Holland guy from cowboy trap to make it sound extra,extra dangerous to scare you more)

Also the legal side of no notification.

Nothing good to say at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to believe that anybody would carry out work to that sub sub sub standard level! Was he trying to kill somebody??? None of its right, he couldn't even get the right bulb for f sake!!! Exposed live connections outside??? You need to find this person and break his thumbs to stop him doing it again. . . . . !

There is a definite need to name and shame this individual.

Reply to Is this the worst install you have ever seen? *Feedback wanted!* in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock