Discuss Legal Details - Sockets - Where is the requirement for separate socket earths to be linked? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

wilmer000

DIY
Reaction score
I have come across a double socket where the earth terminations aren't linked together - Is this illegal (and what regulation do i look at?) or is it allowed, and I just put the loop-earth in one termination and join the unearthed socket with a length of Earth conductor?

do you mean that there's no manufacturers link between the 2 earth terminals? have you metered across them?

I have come across a double socket where the earth terminations aren't linked together - Is this illegal (and what regulation do i look at?) or is it allowed, and I just put the loop-earth in one termination and join the unearthed socket with a length of Earth conductor?

There should be an internal ling in the SO . See Earthing requirements for the installation of equipment having high protective conductor current "see 7.5 OSG Page 86 explains the whole thing in detail, Regulation 543.7.1.201 and 202 refers

Must admit that I've quite often wondered why there are two earth terminals on double sockets which are quite clearly linked. Suppose its quite handy to have the extra one if you are earthing the back box but if you have a RFC with a large number of double sockets, if the CPC's are in the separate terminals you are going to get a slightly higher r2 value plus extra connections with more room for error.

Must admit that I've quite often wondered why there are two earth terminals on double sockets which are quite clearly linked. Suppose its quite handy to have the extra one if you are earthing the back box but if you have a RFC with a large number of double sockets, if the CPC's are in the separate terminals you are going to get a slightly higher r2 value plus extra connections with more room for error.
See Post 8?

the reason for 2 terminals is for hi integrity earthing, used a lot with IT equipment with high leakage currents. as he said above , osg pages 86 and 87 explain.

There is no law in the UK that specifies what is described.
So it is legal to have two separate unlinked earth terminals in a socket? BS 1363-2 doesn't seem to specify there must be a single termination, but it doesn't seem right to me as you could end up wiring one side of the loop into each termination, and split the earth loop by accident. either that or you end up with an unearthed socket. (or have to fit a link between the two. ) but is it legal? that's the question!

So it is legal to have two separate unlinked earth terminals in a socket? BS 1363-2 doesn't seem to specify there must be a single termination, but it doesn't seem right to me as you could end up wiring one side of the loop into each termination, and split the earth loop by accident. either that or you end up with an unearthed socket. (or have to fit a link between the two. ) but is it legal? that's the question!

No, I think you have misunderstood.

Can you post a photo of the rear of your socket.

Was doing a periodic last week in an office, area had been rewired five years ago to a good standard. Continuity of the cpcs was way too high on two of the ring finals and I knew exactly what was causing it has have had it before, cpcs split across two terminals. Reconnected into the same terminal and problem gone, can't remember the brand but wasn't MK or Hager.

Reply to Legal Details - Sockets - Where is the requirement for separate socket earths to be linked? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net