Discuss Light must be on for bathroom fan to work. Can I rewire so each switch works independently? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sove_m

DIY
Reaction score
In my bathroom, the light (switch on left) must be switched on in order for the fan to be switched on. I would like to be able to run the fan without having to keep the light on. Any solutions for a simple rewire?0F2419D5-B501-42E3-A61E-49DF8FF11159.jpeg

So the left switch is the one with the yellow and black wires? Is the other switch the fan?

With what’s been said, it looks like blue is permanent live, switches onto the red which is then split between going up to the light and feeding the second switch.

if that’s correct, then all needs to be done is move the red feeding the second switch from the light switchwire onto the permanent live... in this case, blue.

The red wire nut twisty thingy looks like a bit of red conduit coming out the wall. Took me a minute to realise it was a twisty nut thingy

With what’s been said, it looks like blue is permanent live, switches onto the red which is then split between going up to the light and feeding the second switch.

if that’s correct, then all needs to be done is move the red feeding the second switch from the light switchwire onto the permanent live... in this case, blue.

The red wire nut twisty thingy looks like a bit of red conduit coming out the wall. Took me a minute to realise it was a twisty nut thingy
That did it! Thanks so much for the response! I fed the red wire into the back of the switch associated with the blue wire. Again, thanks so much!

That did it! Thanks so much!
I inserted the red into the slot in the back of the light switch associated with the blue. I suppose I can get rid of the red wire but twisty thing...10DD1EE9-38EC-4D95-B2CA-4D68E9FE16E3.jpeg

Yes you don’t need the red twisty thing. Just take out that short link and put the red direct to the connection on the switch.

Reply to Light must be on for bathroom fan to work. Can I rewire so each switch works independently? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net