Discuss looking to do a course to enable me to install and commision fire alarms in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

lennox

-
Reaction score
hi all

im looking to do a course so I can commission fire alarms, just want a point in the right direction really

I have my own electrical business s looking to move into the fire sector

wheres the best place to do this?

I assume il have to do some sort of course to enable me to do this but who do I have to register wth to design and commission systems?

many thanks

danny

I have done several of the FIA courses and although not cheap, they are well worth the money and you come out with a certificate if you pass and also an A4 booklet with all the course contents in very well laid out.

thanks uksparks, iv looked on there website probably going to go for the combined course 1,4 and 5. what did you do? how do I go about being able to commission these fire alarms once iv done the courses? do I need to be part of a governing body or equivalent?

thanks uksparks, iv looked on there website probably going to go for the combined course 1,4 and 5. what did you do? how do I go about being able to commission these fire alarms once iv done the courses? do I need to be part of a governing body or equivalent?

If you know a registered company you can book the course though you can save a few hundred quid.

You don`t have to be part of a governing body...but joining the FIA as a member will help and give your discount on your courses....you can then train and move on to BAFE accreditation.
Installation is one thing, but commissioning, especially addressable may need a few training courses with the manufactures themselves.

I did them all one at a time over a few months as hadn't got loads of money spare at the time, I have done 1, 4, 5 and 11, but will be doing 2, 3 and 6 next year some time.

I did them for the additional information really and a bit of a fail safe should I need to get a job, It might just help.

All I'd say is, doing a course does not make you competent, that only ones with training, knowledge, experience etc,you need to work along side someone really to build your competency up into something more credible than a series of one day courses.

Although they are very good, it does not make you a pro.

I did them, but have done nothing else, they are kind of sitting in my portfolio of training and such like that at some point I will build on and take further when the time comes, but it's a start for me.

Even with all the courses under your belt, it's a far cry from actually being competent, especially when it comes to system design. Even the smaller FA companies will often outsource the design element on medium to large jobs/projects....

thanks for all the replys.

I understand that doing the courses wont make me a pro overnight but with it supplementing my previous work experiences installing fire alarms,my electrical apprenticeship and thenslowly building up my confidence in designing and installing fa after completing the course I hope overall to be a lot more competent in my work.

obviously at the beginning I will be installing very small installs then hope to build it up gradually afterall everyone has to begin somewhere

Reply to looking to do a course to enable me to install and commision fire alarms in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net