Discuss main cut out fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not another one of these stupid threads...

I've yet to see a seal in a meter cupboard, but if I did I'd be on the phone to the RSPCA straight away.

It's disgusting the way people seem to think it's ok to keep a wild aquatic mammal in such conditions...

On a more serious note, for someone to be in trouble for pulling the fuse there would have to be evidence or a witness to said act....

Of course I never pull the main fuse myself, but if I was going to I'd just make sure no one saw... :p

Oh, and if you're asking how to pull a fuse, you shouldn't be anywhere near the board in the first place, let alone replacing it!

On a more serious note, for someone to be in trouble for pulling the fuse there would have to be evidence or a witness to said act....

Of course I never pull the main fuse myself, but if I was going to I'd just make sure no one saw... :p

Oh, and if you're asking how to pull a fuse, you shouldn't be anywhere near the board in the first place, let alone replacing it!
yes....but its soooo tempting...

Look at it this way. If an incompetent domestic installer is killed by pulling the fuse, it’s one incompetent to worry about.

Sorry if that seems harsh. But there are far too many incompetents masquerading as electricians in this country. The scams won’t get rid of them, it’s time for natural selection to take over.

Look at it this way. If an incompetent domestic installer is killed by pulling the fuse, it’s one incompetent to worry about.

Sorry if that seems harsh. But there are far too many incompetents masquerading as electricians in this country. The scams won’t get rid of them, it’s time for natural selection to take over.
how very darwenian of you Tony....
well....it is a jungle out there....

How do you pull out the fuse your self, I've phoned for permission to cut seal and got refused by dno and then went to the supplier they said I can as long as I test and leave certificate for them I'm really confused about changing a consumer unit and pulling the fuse. Help would be very greatful.

I started a course can't get my money back so I'm going to complete the course it will give me 17th edition, part p, testing and inspection, pat testing. Where should I go after the course to gain the rest of what I need to be qualified, I know they are changing the nvq so I don't know what to do next and what can I do with the qualifications gained been working with an electrician for a year now already please help I'm struggling with all the jargon on the internet.

That is a post by you from 2 years ago.If you have to come on here and ask how to pull a main cut out i would say there is no way in hell you can call yourself a competant person and should not be touching it.

I mean it would be laughable if it wasnt so potentially lethal

the service head + tails into the meter are DNO property

the meter is the energy suppliers

anything after that is consumers (including tails from meter)

if (and i say this without advocating the practice)...if you decide to pull the bullit after careful consideration for yourself (and any others) and you have verified the cutout + fuse carrier is in visually good condition then some plastic pliers should be employed...together with either a face shield or goggles...just in case....
and never, never pull a bullit under load....isolate first at DP switch + safe isolation procedure....

but it's much more fun with the shower and cooker running when you pull it. :34:

For those of you pulling incoming fuses, perhaps you should go on a course to learn the correct procedures, you probably like me think I can do this without any training. Wrong! During the course(took about 1 hour) at western powers Head offices in Taunton, photos were shown, of victims clothes after pulling cut out fuses. It left little to the imagination, as with everything in life theres lots of hidden dangers, if you do insist on pulling fuses PLEASE PLEASE wear insulated gloves, face protection and flame retardant clothing.

Right for a start if there's no seal has there been evidence of tampering? The question you should be asking yourself is are you prepared to take the penilties if you pull the fuse and it all blows up in your face. I work in and train the metering industry if there's a fault with the cutout I have seen evidence of what can go wrong in the way of bad burns etc. I would strongly recommend you contact your supplier who can arrange to get this work done for you.

If and I say IF the suppliers/DNO's were to do a 1/2 day course to gain the relevent knowledge, experience and more importantly the "permission" to remove seals then the whole better off we would all be.

Dear god! Will this never end?

It’s a bloody fuse, it’s only supplying one house. If you must reduce the load to settle you’re nerves then do so. Just pull the damn thing!

Do as Tony says,but when the deteriorated copper conductors touch within the service cable or cutout,and 16000+ amps flow through them the copper vapourises in the back of your eyes, you better get a guide dog.

Do as Tony says,but when the deteriorated copper conductors touch within the service cable or cutout,and 16000+ amps flow through them the copper vapourises in the back of your eyes, you better get a guide dog.

I take it maths and physics weren’t you’re strong subjects at school?

Reply to main cut out fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net