Discuss Most Used Electrical Suppliers & Electrical Wholesalers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Recently we asked the forum who they used as their electrical suppliers the most. We asked for 3 or so options, and reasons why weren't mandatory but some provided details.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...9077-electrical-suppliers-who-do-you-use.html (the old thread will be closed now this new poll has been created)

We've now collated the responses and have put them in a poll to allow the forum to vote for the most used electrical suppliers in the UK.

As not all electrical suppliers will be listed, we are happy to add to the poll if we spot more new names being mentioned in reply to this poll.

Votes are multiple choice - we will allow 2 votes per person. All votes are public, so everybody can see who has voted.

Hi Dan,

No voting permission - please can you enable me to vote?

Tony

Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

Hi Dan,

Could you add Beacon Electrical. They have branches in South Shields and Sunderland.

Re Screwfix. A cornershop that opens later than the others plus Sundays. Can be handy.

Rob

Is it just me or is it a sign of the times where the majority of members on an electrical forum are using DIY sheds like Screwfix and TLC almost exclusively?

I use them occasionally, but my account is with YESSS and the bulk of my purchasing goes through them.

Depends on how you run the business, I find having costs available at the time of purchase useful, but the availability of public access difficult.
I would describe TLC as a non conventional public access electrical wholesaler rather than a DIY shed.

For small jobs, I use the TLC website or catalogue... Then I go to YESSS lol!

Seriously though, when we get the jobs in, a materials list is produced, emailed over to the manager at my local YESSS branch, they then source the products (if I haven't already stated brands) and come back to me usually within 30mins with a price (an email first and a phone call about 5 mins later). If I don't like a price or a product, I say so (this doesn't happen often), they will always beat the price of anywhere else I know anyway, even online, even if they sell the odd item to me at a loss! If they balls up an order, they take the hit not me. They will also deliver to site within the hour.

Ok I may have slightly more purchasing power than the one man bands in my area and I feel that counts, it certainly feels like a good experience using them as it would seem they appreciate the trade of a decent local electrical contractor. I'm also of the opinion that they can sniff DIY or Electrical Trainee from a mile away. I've walked in before behind Joe Bloggs and the staff have always made a bee-line for me over him. Makes me feel valued. Also, my local branch manager is an ex spark so he's always going to support the trade. They often and openly laugh about how much they can mark up their prices to Joe Public.

TLC on the other hand, I use them occasionally, mainly for any ventilation gear as we almost always spec Solar & Palau and YESSS have yet to be able to source direct. Also, TLC simply don't stock most of the gear we need for commercial work. But, when I do dare to go in I feel there is nothing worse than seeing some DIY schmuk in front of me buying a handful of sockets at exactly the same price per unit as me (as near as makes no difference anyway) when I'm placing an order for a hundred at a time. I get TLC 'special prices', which I think is about a 1% discount. Disgusting if you ask me!

What also grinds my gears about TLC is that it seems to be the knuckle draggers paradise. They know full well that they are selling electrical gear to builders, kitchen fitters, plumbers, DIY Dan etc.. And they simply don't give a damn! It doesn't matter that they've kept me waiting because they've been trying to explain, badly, to a DIYer how to fit that new light he's just bought. DIY Dan's £20 a year is just as important to them as my £20k a year!

I ain't ashamed to admit, I come over with serious bouts of superiority syndrome when I walk into that dive lol.

Screwfix, well, it does what it says on the tin. Great for screws, fixings and all manner of sundries that aren't electrical related. Not too bad for tools and accessories either!

Please addd mcwhirters glasgow sg pheonix kirkintilloch
Also ant see electri cntr or is it included in Eddies Also Neweys should realy be with Senate Rexel as they are one group
For lamps ballasts ect Glasgow Sld another eddies divisionn

I've almost stopped buying online, the risks of buying some junk off the boat where getting too high. I've got accounts everywhere, but I almost exclusively use my local Wilts branch for electrical, local tool shop for tools, local fixings business, and RS for anything else. Theres nothing that cant be beaten on price, just depends on how you treat people....I walked into Wilts last Friday morning at coffee time, so I went via the Tescos next door and got doughnuts..... And then spent about £4k with them. Chances of being ripped off? Slim!!!!

Is it just me or is it a sign of the times where the majority of members on an electrical forum are using DIY sheds like Screwfix and TLC almost exclusively?

I use them occasionally, but my account is with YESSS and the bulk of my purchasing goes through them.
exactly what I was thinking, I am pretty shocked screwfix is leading at the moment.

I agree with Mr Skelton,

There is no way i would use screwfix or the like. If you are worried about price then take the screwfix one as a basis and buy elsewhere. I have never found them good on price for any electrical goods on a like for like basis. The do have quite a good stock of rubbish which is quite cheap though!

I ticked local independent but it's Devondale Electrical Distributors Ltd, based in Exeter but all over the Southwest we use Glastonbury branch unrivaled service, here about and good prices too.

Any chance of adding Western Electrical? Wholesale based throughout Devon and Cornwall.

Similar to others I generally use TLC for price guide when pricing jobs because I can do this from the website of an evening if I want. Then go to City Electrical or Western Electrical as 95% of the time their prices are better and add to my profit. On the rare occasion they can't beat TLC's price I buy it from TLC instead.

I do mainly industrial installs, so I wouldn't (by and large) get what I wanted off screwfix, though I do use them for fixings, but never for electrical items as they sell mostly house bashing type stuff.

I do mainly industrial installs, so I wouldn't (by and large) get what I wanted off screwfix, though I do use them for fixings, but never for electrical items as they sell mostly house bashing type stuff.

In contrast, I do a fair bit of house bashing, and Screwfix sell a large percentage of what I need - sockets & switches, consumer units, cable, etc. I already mentioned about fixed prices and online ordering, and even if there is no separate Electricfix counter I don't usually have to wait (TLC can be much slower, but that is a different story). Fair enough if they don't stock the industrial kit, but I fail to see why some people refuse to use them just because they also serve builders and DIYers.

Yesss opened a new branch here a while back, first they sent me an invite in the post, then they called me up to see if I would use them. They are about 100m from Screwfix. I asked about online ordering to collect in branch, at the time it was not available (Screwfix 5 mins). I asked about opening hours, they close about 5pm and noon on Saturday (Screwfix all day Sat, and Sun hours). I asked about prices and discounts, and they explained the discounts varied according to product line and manufacturer, there was no set percentage, I basically had to call every time [and hope I was given a sensible discount] (Screwfix/Electrofix have online prices). Yesss concluded by saying they were trying to be more a traditional wholesaler, rather than competing with the "sheds" (their term). I concluded by saying that was exactly why I was unlikely to be using them!

Last edited:

Reply to Most Used Electrical Suppliers & Electrical Wholesalers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock