Discuss New career skills (court action)?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just seen it and the 2nd fix comment,all I can say is,oh dear

Towards the end,the massive skills shortage and the fantastic pay is mentioned

Oh and just to add, my old friends the Niceic,I notice they got their mention.
Mind you,I suppose that's whats usually to be expected from them

It makes me wonder what he thinks first fix is

It makes me wonder what he thinks first fix is

Probably getting out of bed in the morning....First Fix = get up, ignore the moaning hag next to you, get changed, have breakfast, get in van. Second Fix = arrive on site and crack on.....ahh the life of a Electrical Trainee.

I did the new career skills domestic installer course and to be fair to them it was a good course and did get me started in business. I have succeeded in joining the NICEIC and they provided me with work experience and ongoing support.

The catch is that I underestimated just how hard it would be to get started in business. I was prepared to live cheaply for a while, have a few customers not pay and learn by my mistakes etc etc. What I was not prepared for was not to be able to find any work at all most weeks. fortunately I was unemployed and getting benefits, the jobcentre allowed me to start a business and continue claiming but deducted earnings from the benefits each week, this was enough to keep me going for six months. after this I was forced to take paid employment in a factory. now I am only continuing in business on a part time basis because I paid up front for most of my expenses (insurance NICEIC membership, van costs etc). I will probably cease trading when these are up for renewal.

If anyone is thinking of starting out as a domestic installer I would recommend that they test the market to find out how much business they are likely to get. Place an advert in your local paper and see how many replies you get, sorry if you feel bad about doing this but if anyone replies you can tell them that you are too busy or have broken your leg etc. The advert will cost you a few pounds, this is worth it to test the market, compared to the course costs of a few thousand pounds plus the costs of starting the business plus the costs of maintaining yourself while the business gets started. Overall you are talking many thousands of pounds. My first weeks of advertising got no response at all from customers, only other advertisers. I tried leaflet distribution and a web site, again, with no successs. All the work seems to be going to established companies.

I did the new career skills domestic installer course and to be fair to them it was a good course and did get me started in business. I have succeeded in joining the NICEIC and they provided me with work experience and ongoing support.

The catch is that I underestimated just how hard it would be to get started in business. I was prepared to live cheaply for a while, have a few customers not pay and learn by my mistakes etc etc. What I was not prepared for was not to be able to find any work at all most weeks. fortunately I was unemployed and getting benefits, the jobcentre allowed me to start a business and continue claiming but deducted earnings from the benefits each week, this was enough to keep me going for six months. after this I was forced to take paid employment in a factory. now I am only continuing in business on a part time basis because I paid up front for most of my expenses (insurance NICEIC membership, van costs etc). I will probably cease trading when these are up for renewal.

If anyone is thinking of starting out as a domestic installer I would recommend that they test the market to find out how much business they are likely to get. Place an advert in your local paper and see how many replies you get, sorry if you feel bad about doing this but if anyone replies you can tell them that you are too busy or have broken your leg etc. The advert will cost you a few pounds, this is worth it to test the market, compared to the course costs of a few thousand pounds plus the costs of starting the business plus the costs of maintaining yourself while the business gets started. Overall you are talking many thousands of pounds. My first weeks of advertising got no response at all from customers, only other advertisers. I tried leaflet distribution and a web site, again, with no successs. All the work seems to be going to established companies.

A good example to take note of, I feel, for those planning a complete change without the experience, or correct qualifications, to call themselves electricians.

i wonder how many more blokes out there have taken these courses and then found that they can't get a job and going self-employed is a nightmare, then ended up working in a factory or call centre just to earn a living. it's time these courses were shown up for what they are. let's face it, without demeaning other trades, sparking is not the same as painting a room, or plastering. you mess up on those jobs, it's highly unlikely that you'll kill someone or cause a fire, is it?

Hi people of the real electrical world! Just wondering if any one has done the electrician course with NCS as I have and not been able to get a job as an electrician as their web site suggests?? I have spoken to another mature student and he is on about getting a court case against them? As their web site states "train to be an electrician and earn 30k+ a year" this is surely false advertising as the qualification is not recognised within the true electrical industry and even if you were to register with a scheme you are still not deemed an "electrician"! Thoughts of you wise ppl please!

I see a lot of negative feedback regarding New Career Skills, and im not sure why.

I trained with them and 8 years on have a successful electrical contractor company. You obtain the city and guilds qualifications you need with them to demonstrate competence which is what the law requires.
You don't get anything different from a 3 year college course. As for the advertised earnings, a qualified electrician should be earning 30k+.
My earnings have been over 60k the past couple of years. You do the maths to whether the course is worth while it not.
Personally anyone self motivated enough to do the New Careers Skill course should seriously consider being self employed at the end of it, far more to be earned that way and easier to get work as you can't show a future employer any experience.

There are a lot of other companies offering much the same sort of course but they have a huge amount of hidden extras to pay. This was the only course i found that everything was included in the one price.

I see a lot of negative feedback regarding New Career Skills, and im not sure why.

I trained with them and 8 years on have a successful electrical contractor company. You obtain the city and guilds qualifications you need with them to demonstrate competence which is what the law requires.
You don't get anything different from a 3 year college course. As for the advertised earnings, a qualified electrician should be earning 30k+.
My earnings have been over 60k the past couple of years. You do the maths to whether the course is worth while it not.
Personally anyone self motivated enough to do the New Careers Skill course should seriously consider being self employed at the end of it, far more to be earned that way and easier to get work as you can't show a future employer any experience.

There are a lot of other companies offering much the same sort of course but they have a huge amount of hidden extras to pay. This was the only course i found that everything was included in the one price.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Bull ....

These BS Courses ( Not just Elec ) are what all Political parties/pc brigade/Councils/Educational authorities etc coin the phrase "Modern apprenticeships . It is an attempt by all of the above reguardless of there political alliances to make it look like they are addressing the obvious skills shortage we have here by allowing a qwik fix strategy and at the same time reducing unemploymet figures . They simply dont give a dam for the consequences aslong as surface results look good at this time and all the above earn a good living out of it ! . Somewhere along this road ' we no dought will here the words " Lessons have been learned" and i for one will happly put my fist thru the first person who says it

As Rob says, total bull.....but I'm not laughing....some dipsticks actually believe it.....and who's this 'qualified electrician?

if your comparing 5 weeks of exam taking to 3years at college with on site experience as being the same thing. Your out of your mind!

Yes, i understand your perspective. However it's not just 5 weeks of exam taking, and anyone that thinks they can get by just doing that is destined to fail. You need to firstly have some basic knowledge and a passionate interest in doing it. Then there is about 500 hrs of home studying which if applied at the same rate as an apprentice would take 3 years. Essentially the course enables an individual to fast track the work. They do advise on the course getting a free work placement with a company to obtain experience which i know all the firms around me are happy to do.

Training as an electrician is not as clear cut as they perhaps make it sound by very possible if you put in the effort.

As Rob says, total bull.....but I'm not laughing....some dipsticks actually believe it.....and who's this 'qualified electrician?

As you quote asks "who's this electrician"

well i am an NICEIC (D112132) electrician running a electrical contractor company now that i created in Oxfordshire, with exceptionally high standards.
I hold city and guilds in the BS7671, Testing and inspecting, and periodic inspecting. New Career Skills got me started with the with the BS7671. the rest i then achieved through NICEIC.
New Career skills don't guarantee a job at the end, and advise you obtain a free experience position with a firm. They provide the basic training on a fast track method, so you can create opportunities yourself.

If someone's expecting a fast track training on any industry, and expect to walk in a job earning high wages immediately then im sorry they need to look at their expectations again.

well i am an NICEIC (D112132) electrician running a electrical contractor company now that i created in Oxfordshire, with exceptionally high standards.
I hold city and guilds in the BS7671, Testing and inspecting, and periodic inspecting. New Career Skills got me started with the with the BS7671. the rest i then achieved through NICEIC.
New Career skills don't guarantee a job at the end, and advise you obtain a free experience position with a firm. They provide the basic training on a fast track method, so you can create opportunities yourself.

If someone's expecting a fast track training on any industry, and expect to walk in a job earning high wages immediately then im sorry they need to look at their expectations again.

Anyone who reads this, and can't see that you're connected to this "new career skills" crap needs putting down. You're parasites who risk innocent/jobless people's lives.

Anyone who reads this, and can't see that you're connected to this "new career skills" crap needs putting down. You're parasites who risk innocent/jobless people's lives.

Well im sorry that's your point of view, as i have nothing to do with "New Career Skills". I'm just giving people the opportunity to see that these courses do work, if used in the correct way.
For the mature adult, that wants a change in career to be an electrician, what would you suggest is the route they should follow?? bare in mind they will probably be paying rent or have a mortgage, possibly kids to support. An apprentice wage, or straight 3 year college course won't be practical for them.

Instead of installing negative feedback on something i have personally have experience of working, provide some positive alternatives..
If the person is jobless then they are unlikely to have the kind of cash needed for these courses and doing an apprenticeship they got nothing to loose.

Do you mind me asking what is the name of your Contracting firm? I'm sure New Career Skills would be delighted to have you as a reference you'd agree?

Please keep it civil, I ran a few checks when I first saw this and there's nothing to indicate that the person you're accusing isn't a genuine electrical contractor or has any direct interest to do with the company being discussed.

Please keep it civil, I ran a few checks when I first saw this and there's nothing to indicate that the person you're accusing isn't a genuine electrical contractor or has any direct interest to do with the company being discussed.

Fair enough mate, and I apologise to you for putting out my opinion as an accusation. He is sounding far too much like an advertisement for me though, and I think that will be obvious to most on here.

Yep, no offence to Marcus but we've had 'shills' on the forum in the past and I thought the same may be true here due to the lack of any negative comments whatsoever but from the info I have available I'm confident he's a bona fide electrical contractor. More than that I can't say.

Reply to New career skills (court action)?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net