Search the forum,

Discuss Outdoor socket.. Help please? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DPrice

As title says.

Me and my dad have been thinking of doing this for a while so thought id ask for some suggestions on here.

We want to put a single outdoor socket on the side of our house for a small charger which stays outside.

In the house there is a double socket just over 2 feet to one side of where wed like the socket to be outside.

Would it be o.k if i spur off of this through the wall, and take a short bit of a plastic conduit from the wall to the outdoor socket?

Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

As others have said plus the socket needs to be fitted into an IP rated enclosure, you can pick them up at wholesale or diy stores. The job comes under part P for what its worth:rolleyes:;).

Remember to solvent weld the conduit to the adaptor and stop end box, and gasket the box lid ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replies, really appreciate it.

Yes, ill make sure i use an IP rated enclosure.

The socket i will be spurring off is part of the ring main, which is protected by an RCD?

And one last question which may sound stupid. Would it pay to fit a fused spur in between or no because of the RCD protection already?

Thanks all :)

Fused spur I would, as for enclosure and socket go for basec range from Denmans much cheaper than MK.

By the way, the rcd offers fault or shock protection to earth, the fused spur will offer overload protection/discrimination with regards to your boards mcb,so worth fitting, could save your telly going out in the middle of the cup final

fused spur and rcd are two seperate beasts used for different things, if there is just one socket (single or double) to come off ring then fcu not required.

fused spur and rcd are two seperate beasts used for different things, if there is just one socket (single or double) to come off ring then fcu not required.

They are indeed two seperate devices, and thats been covered further up the posts. The fused spur would provide overload protection specific to the outside socket and descrimination willing, could precent the mcb taking all the sockets on the ringmain out. More an inconveniance than anything else admitted, but one worth consideration.;)

They are indeed two seperate devices, and thats been covered further up the posts. The fused spur would provide overload protection specific to the outside socket and descrimination willing, could precent the mcb taking all the sockets on the ringmain out. More an inconveniance than anything else admitted, but one worth consideration.;)
good point and also would stop over loading the outside socket

really, whats stopping them plugging a tripple adapter in and over loading

You could do the same at any spur off the ring within the house. The outside socket is just a spur off the ring it's just it's outside no need for a fused spur unless they want to spur off it again. Don't think you can even fit a triple adaptor in a masterseal socket, I shall attempt it tomorrow ;)

Hi all,

Thanks for all your posts theyve been really helpful.

Ive now been asked by my grandad to do the same at his house for exactly the same charger. (Its for some gardening equipment my nan and mum both use)

At the moment he just plugs an extension lead in and trails it down the garden (obviously not ideal in the rain)

Although the circumstances are a little different as there isnt a socket i can spur off of.

However there is a spur already there which is feeding a small extractor fan (operated by pull cord) which is very very very rarely used at all.

Would i be able to run a new supply from this (the existing spur)?

Or fit a new spur supplied from this existing spur, then run the supply from that?

Up to a MK masterseal outdoor socket (approx 3 feet away) in which would be used maybe 2-3 times a week with this charger for anything up to 12 hours?

The reason i ask is because there isn't any other direct way to do this.

Any help greatly appreciated again, thanks all :)

You could do the same at any spur off the ring within the house. The outside socket is just a spur off the ring it's just it's outside no need for a fused spur unless they want to spur off it again. Don't think you can even fit a triple adaptor in a masterseal socket, I shall attempt it tomorrow ;)

o yes i agree as i 4got the ip rated bit so yea u might not fit 3 plugs and close d lid

i'd call that an earth fault, not a short circuit;)

Or you could call it,
An accidental low-resistance connection between two points in an electric circuit, resulting in either excessive current flow that often causes damage or in a new shorter circuit that draws current away from the original pathways and components. :D;)
I can't split hairs with you, not with a name like baldsparkies.:D:D

Or you could call it,
An accidental low-resistance connection between two points in an electric circuit, resulting in either excessive current flow that often causes damage or in a new shorter circuit that draws current away from the original pathways and components. :D;)

Thats blown my brains out:)

Chris

Dprice hope you managed to pick the bones out of this thread, there are different opinions with regards to fitting a spur.
My only reason for this is because the socket is outside and a switched fused spur will offer overload protection downstream from the mcb, and also local isolation without affecting the in-house ringmain. As pennywise pointed out there is also the fuse in the plug top of the appliance being plugged in.
Would I fit a switch fused spur ? Yes I would. Does everyone agree with this ? No they don't.
And now for the important question, Is either way wrong ?? No there not,;) Just different opinions.
One thing we all agree on though RCD protection is a must along with a suitable IP rating for the socket.:)

Thanks for all your input baldsparkies, really appreciate it, along with everyone elses may I add.

I plan to use a fused spur as extra protection. After all I have the products lying about and it's extra experience :).

Does anyone have any input regards my 2nd post (the top of this page)

Thanks

If the fans spur is part of the original ring it's fine. If it's not and it's already a spur itself, then you may have to put in an additional fused spur that has a 13amp fuse in it, then feed both the fan spur and new outside socket from the load side to prevent a unfused spur off a spur.

Or you could call it,

i could try and top that but at this stage of the evening,beer is involved:confused:
what i meant was, a short circuit, ie, phase to neutral, shorting out load will not trip an rcd;)

Blimey Pennywise your worst than my missus, from no spur needed to three of the buggers :D:D
Just kidding mate, just kidding, Agree with you on this and the logic behind it, just wanted to add, make sure the fan spur is off the ringmain and not fed from the lighting circuit (Fans sometimes are)

Blimey Pennywise your worst than my missus, from no spur needed to three of the buggers :D:D
Just kidding mate, just kidding, Agree with you on this and the logic behind it, just wanted to add, make sure the fan spur is off the ringmain and not fed from the lighting circuit (Fans sometimes are)

I change like the wind :D I got it down to two fused spurs, can add another if you like ;)

i could try and top that but at this stage of the evening,beer is involved:confused:
what i meant was, a short circuit, ie, phase to neutral, shorting out load will not trip an rcd;)

I know exactly what you mean mate no worries;). Enjoy the beer, by the way you forgot phase to phase :eek: (Oh know here I go again:eek:)

Thanks Pemnywise - i'm certain it's already a spur itself.

Is what your saying one of the options I suggested?

Which is add a new fused spur supplied by the fans fused spur, then run the new supply to the outdoor socket?

Sorry if I'm being stupid or confusing.

Your existing fused spur load side, supplies a new fused spur for the fan, along with the supply for the outside socket. Read pennywises post it makes sense. ;)

Thanks Chris_gray - that's exactly what I suggested further up the post.

But Reading other posts suggests otherwise.

Or I'm just reading them wrong.

I think I'm just going to do it that way!

Reply to Outdoor socket.. Help please? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net