Discuss Plasterboard wall plugs for TV bracket in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, it seems that each time i buy a plasterboard wall plugs to screw into plasterboard either it wont hold the weight of the TV bracket or comes loose after a while.
Can anyone please recommend a decent one?

Thank you

Hi all, it seems that each time i buy a plasterboard wall plugs to screw into plasterboard either it wont hold the weight of the TV bracket or comes loose after a while.
Can anyone please recommend a decent one?

Thank you
Fischer cavity fixings are about as good as it gets:

Note that if the bracket is one of the arm-type ones that holds the TV away from the wall, no plasterboard fixing is going to be up to the job, the lever effect is too strong for them. But for the ones that hold the tv against the wall and allow it to be tilted, the above fixings work well

If a stud wall, I'd consider removing a small section of plasterboard to fit a noggin between studs (behind TV, so not visible), refit the plasterboard after and fill the join.
If a dot & dab wall, use deep wall plug fixings into the blocks/bricks, and if needed fill the gap between the blocks and the board with plaster, allow to set before mounting bracket/TV.

I dug out some old Piranha wall plugs for this very purpose (they're soft and grip stud walls very well) and had no issues.

What I'll add is that it was a very light 32" LED tv and I used a fairly large, slimline mounting bracket to ensure the largest possible footprint on the wall. Realistically there is only so much that can be achieved on plasterboard, without additioinal reinforcement.

Most of the time it isn’t the fixings that fail but the plasterboard themselves anything over 5kg I would recommend installing a mounting board between joists

Most of the time it isn’t the fixings that fail but the plasterboard themselves anything over 5kg I would recommend installing a mounting board between joists
THis.. Just cut out a small section. slide in some ply. screw a few screws to locate it .Then fit the bracket through the plasterboard and into the Ply using woodscrews .
easy

If it's a stud wall just span the studs with a couple 3mm steel or aluminium flat bars and fix the bracket to them

I could never fix a TV to a plasterboard wall. It would play on my mind constantly that it would fall. Any time I've done it, I've found a stud or opened up the wall behind where the bracket will cover and fitted a ground for it. I wouldn't leave the life of my beautiful new tv in the hands of a few plasterboard fixings

I could never fix a TV to a plasterboard wall. It would play on my mind constantly that it would fall. Any time I've done it, I've found a stud or opened up the wall behind where the bracket will cover and fitted a ground for it. I wouldn't leave the life of my beautiful new tv in the hands of a few plasterboard fixings
The plasterboard fixings I linked to above are IIRC good for up to 20kg each fixing, and are fine for a bracket that fixes the TV flat to the wall. I have fitted loads this way with no problems. Watch this youtube vid:

When my neighbours house flooded, and he was getting a new kitchen out the insurance, I helped myself to some old units that matched my own.

surprised to find they were held up with screws into plasterboard… no fancy fixings, not even a rawlplug…. And half a tube of “sticks-like-s**t”

Reply to Plasterboard wall plugs for TV bracket in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net