Discuss Plug socket overheating in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shak997

Hi All,

Can I begin by explaining that I am not an electrician and nor have I had any electrical training but I've fitted/changed plug sockets, light fittings and switches without any issues.

I recently converted a single socket into a double using a patress box conversation at a relatives house. The cables were just a little to short to reach the new socket so I done an extension and connected the wires using 30 amp connector strips. I also fitted a second socket in the same room connected off the old socket.

Today I've been informed that the old socket overheats when in use. I'm not sure about the new one yet and I've asked my relatives to check. Like I've already mentioned that I've fitted sockets previously without any issues however the only thing I've done different this time is to use the 30 amp connector strips as I figured this is safer than just twisting the wires together.

Any ideas on what may be causing the overheating? Is it the connector strip? Should have I perhaps used a lower amperage? Or could it be a loose connection?

Any advice shall be much appreciated.

Thanks

Get an Electrician in to take a look

More than likely as said above loose connections. But also check no loose connections in the actual plug top. When using strip connectors, make sure each conductor (wire) is tighten by both screws, not just one.

Thank you all for the advice.

I have checked all the connections and they are tight. I'm getting a sparky in to take look.

Cheers

Thank you all for the advice.

I have checked all the connections and they are tight. I'm getting a sparky in to take look.

Cheers

Nothing wrong in having a go, but at least you know your limits.

Reply to Plug socket overheating in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net