Discuss Plugging in an electric vehicle to a standard socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just looking for a bit more information on Mode 2 charging of electric vehicles.

The mode 2 charging cables state they have protection against electric shock but they don't go into detail. Do they have an inbuilt RCD in them?

Also, if the earthing is PME, how can they be acceptable to use if they are being used to charge the car outside, with no PEN fault protection? We wouldn't consider installing a mode 3 EV charging point for a PME installation without PEN fault protection. What is the difference?

Historical acceptance before the potential dangers were realised!

I believe the most recent grannys do have rcd protection, but not the older ones (and could block std rcds), none address the various issues with taking the earth outside!

I really do not like them at all I consider them dangerous for the above reasons, plus 10A or so out of a standard socket outlet for 12hrs + is just asking for trouble tbh.

Plus they are totally uncontrolled when used, so a long cable extension all over the public paths, with an exported earth not bonded to any local metalwork.

There is going to be a serious injury or death before they withdraw them though as they are so desirable by the car dealerships (you can charge your ev anywhere), and by the public in general because they don't understand the dangers.

Mode 2 EV Charging (AC, output power 3.7kW, EVSE)

EV car charging from non-dedicated alternating current socket, with the only difference EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) control box on the cord. It rectifies from AC to DC and work like circuit breaker.

I agree it's not a good idea in the first place.
Also, if the earthing is PME, how can they be acceptable to use if they are being used to charge the car outside, with no PEN fault protection? We wouldn't consider installing a mode 3 EV charging point for a PME installation without PEN fault protection. What is the difference?
I think we arrived at a consensus that section 7 didn't apply to this charging method. Something to do with the charger being part of the lead or in the car....

Reply to Plugging in an electric vehicle to a standard socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net