Discuss polarity argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I use brown for switched live and black for auxiliary live (permanent feed to emergency fittings) like it's intended for.
If most of the lights aren't emergency fittings the colours in the flex will be brown, blue and green & yellow, so you use brown for the switched live just the same as you do throughout the rest of the installation.
In the emergency fittings the colours might be brown, black, blue, and green & yellow - the extra colour being black to be used for the extra terminal you've now got (auxiliary live).

There was me thinking it was obvious...

At Derektaylor .. it seems from your post #2 that you have been arguing with the new bloods over the years and got to a point where you wont accept what you are telling them isn't entirely true,if you look after these apprentices and young sparks then you can by all rights tell them thats the method you prefer and they are to use it but you can't turn around and tell them there method isnt right as both are, you have been given various manufactured products that adopt black as permanent live and brown switch and also from other posts you should be aware by now that both ways are acceptable and only preference is the key, the only time this should be an issue is when multiple sparkies operate on job or site and a common method needs to be agreed to avoid wasted time.
The decent thing to do here is to tell the young lads tomorrow you stand corrected and admit their methods are not wrong and take it on the chin, its a bit concerning that you get these lads out of college then overrule what they have been taught.

The O/P asked the question because their exists a confliction within his works and by now he will realise both methods are correct and no-one was wrong and yes brown as permanent live might be the general chosen method but thats not my point here.

Can't cast my poll choice as i adopt both dependant on job (i.e. if using products with already black assigned as live)

Well I have always used brown for switched live and black for perm live and won't be changing now.

If you all want to have a sly dig at me Derek then go ahead. But I'm the main man so u can all bore off. And I'll tell my apprentices what I want

Derek would you care to back up your argument as to WHY you use black for switched live?
Bear in mind "because I've been doing it that way for 20 years" isn't much of an argument.

For me, I almost always use click roses to wire lighting (industrial). As such I normally wire in singles, so it's brown for everything! But in flex, it's black for perm as per the the click system.
In domestic 2 way, I use grey for the common. Strappers don't matter which way round.
in normal 1ph I sleeve black as CPC and grey as neutral.
If I'm following somebody else's 1st or 2nd fix, I always check 1st.
Horses for courses I say.
Its like how to wire 2 way and intermediate lighting. There are lots of different ways and I use whichever method I feel like on the day.

If you all want to have a sly dig at me Derek then go ahead. But I'm the main man so u can all bore off. And I'll tell my apprentices what I want

Somehow i knew you would say that, and in response its not a dig its an overview of your comment and what the replies to the O/P has revealed as to his starting query, take it as a dig if you want but it wasn't written that way yes your the main man at work and what you say goes irrespective of right or wrong but as you have already found out you are not the main man on here nor are we your apprentices and it will be pointed out when you are wrong so you will have to learn to take critisism and admit when you are wrong but as is the nature of this forum you will get a 'like' notification if someone agrees strongly with you and/or a thankyou if they think you have helped them.

And although belated my i say Welcome to the forum :)

why did the coulours change in the first place? and then need to be sleeved a different coulour? it is becuse the idiots/ at the top need to be kept earning a wage/salery-
i heard it was to harmonize with europe ,yet they have totally crap electrical wiring systems

Each to their own. But I still stick by my opinion.

Good for you:coolgleamA: The world would be a very dull place if everyone's was the same. I do however believe that your post was a little out of order, you may act god at work but you'll have your work cut out in here with the attitude you adopted a short while ago.

The OP was merely asking for opinions on who does it which way, there is no right or wrong it's just the preference of the person carrying out the work at the time.

Also, Welcome to the forum:seeya:

Lenny don't tell me about my attitude please because nothing is out of line. And tbh Íve been sparkying for over 20 yrs now and I love my job and have a great passion for it and it really gets to me when people act thick and class black as permanent. Rant over !

Like Lenny said, how is it wrong when all the manufactures use black as the permanent???

Personally I use black as perm, purely because I've been taught that way and everyone I work with uses that way.

Reply to polarity argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net