Discuss polarity argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Des 56 I think that comment is absolute nonsense. Need to get with the times and learn that everything moves on. But these thickos out there need to understand brown is permanent !!!!!!

You need to address your attitude sir or you wont last long here!!!!!

Using the black conductor as a permanent live conductor does not make anyone a thicko or a cowboy!

You best address all the manufacturers of plug-in ceiling roses with your concerns as ALL of them use the black conductor within the flex of a 4 pole rose as the permanent live conductor.

The point is dark wood when your work on major projects when many electricians are working it becomes a point. When switching is ran through contacts bringing on many circuits and lights.

Lenny don't tell me about my attitude please because nothing is out of line. And tbh Íve been sparkying for over 20 yrs now and I love my job and have a great passion for it and it really gets to me when people act thick and class black as permanent. Rant over !

Even this thicko carrot cruncher can work out the OP was asking people's opinion's to find out the system a majority use...as with many things there's no rules or regulations but some sort of continuity would be a good thing.

The point is dark wood when your work on major projects when many electricians are working it becomes a point. When switching is ran through contacts bringing on many circuits and lights.

If working on major projects, it would be prudent to check with your Charge Hand/Foreman/Site Manager, and likewise they should check with you. Sadly these kind of 'mishaps' are happening more and more as companies are making "aggressive commercial decisions" (please don't get me started). Ultimately the materials cost the same, I'll let you guess where the 'fat gets cut'. I have to agree with a few on here and say there is no set way of wiring, let alone which colours are utilised.

Cheers guys for all inputs had a lot of good points Lenny know your point with gregs think that is where the argument starts for us too. No clear cut answer.

Brown perm L for me and then black (sleeved brown ) would be the switched live

Still finding other sparks sleeving the black with blue to make it a neutral then sleeving grey with Green and Yellow in swa and for some reason drives me mad :)

I see where your coming from but this isnt about which is which but a breakdown in comunication, your chargehand, foreman or boss depending who sits the highest when making onsite decisions should make it clear to all from the start, if this is a re-occuring argument then someone isn't doing there job properly by seeing the issue and holding a site meeting or even doing a one to one chat with all on site.

Lenny don't tell me about my attitude please because nothing is out of line.

Yes there is.................your attitude!!!

We try and keep this place as friendly and welcoming as possible for everyone to use, with a first post calling people cowboys & thickos because they do something in a way that you dont agree with is ignorance personified.

Is it dangerous..........no, is it against regulations............no, is it simply a matter of personal choice...........YES!!!

Just to throw something else into the mix we use alot of prewired fittings on commercial install and they all come with brown switched and black perm on all the emergency fittings which the plugs are tamper sealed, this i guess matches the switched only fittings which as you know are brown switched. I know many manufacturers use this system so i stay with it to keep it the same throughout the job.
Only on domestic where i choose the colours do i use black as switched but this stems from the old colours.
Its a bit like a two way switch with what colour to common ? Does it matter as long as its marked.

Lenny don't tell me about my attitude please because nothing is out of line. And tbh Íve been sparkying for over 20 yrs now and I love my job and have a great passion for it and it really gets to me when people act thick and class black as permanent. Rant over !

You've got a cheek. A new member with 3 posts is picking a fight with a moderator - keep this up and you'll be banned!

Would suggest the electric chair myself....but I`m worried who might of wired it, can be dangerous things those chairs if you mix your browns with your blacks...

Reply to polarity argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net