Discuss polarity argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Like Lenny said, how is it wrong when all the manufactures use black as the permanent???

Personally I use black as perm, purely because I've been taught that way and everyone I work with uses that way.

Exactly, if the lighting system throughout uses perm live as black , so am I, you always been told look at manufacturers, it makes sence to keep the same.

This Dereck guy acts very srangely, perhaps he had a hard day I suppose.........

if you tried to play god with me on site derek, then id jack there and then.i couldnt and wouldnt work for someone who tried to enforce their opinion as right.
I have a rule, if i disagree with an opinion at work, i make my opinion known, and give my reasons. I listen to the other persons opinion. I then go away and try to find info to justify either my or their opinions, and if possible find regs to back it up.
Even if i then dont go back and tell the person who i was arguiing with that i was right, ive often learnt something.
If i went around not listening, then i wouldnt know as much as i do, and i wouldnt learn as much as i want to learn.

We go on about sleeving everything but, if that's the way to go, why are blacks (live) not sleeved in made up plug in roses (gregs) ? I always sleeve or mark, by the way.

The bottom line here is that the regs don't prescribe anything, so it's left up to us. Then see what happens....... So maybe we need a few MORE regs, or a few less?

In the meantime, I'll just keep using my eyes and brain to check what others have done. Oh, and keep the supply of sleeving in the van well stocked.

Basically I am like god on my sites I run. So my way or the highway. But I do take into account everyone is different

At least when you're working for someone like that you know where you stand, which is far better IMHO than someone who says "whatever you think" then moans afterwards.

Personally I work in this order:-
1) Follow convention on site.
if there isn't one
2)Follow the convention on acessories
if that doesn't apply
3) Whichever gets the sleeve becomes the switched line

If the job is mine or I'm running it then I follow 3) as a general rule for no other reason than personal preference. Whatever way it's done, to be honest there are more important things in life and work to get excited about. :)

Brown perm L for me and then black (sleeved brown ) would be the switched live

Still finding other sparks sleeving the black with blue to make it a neutral then sleeving grey with Green and Yellow in swa and for some reason drives me mad :)

Ermmmm........what's wrong with doing that?:angel_smile:

I did have a hard day at work actually. Bloody young kids using black as permanent , no communication on the job. So they've made me foreman to look after it and do what I do best !

as i have said before, this was never a problem before some d***head in a suit decided that the cable colours that had been used since the year dot should be changed to colours that have no logical reason or sense.

I generally use brown as live, black as switched, grey as neutral BUT when working with others always clarify what they are using as what, simple communication!

I don't agree with bad attitudes, putting people down and shouting and balling on jobs/sites does any good, it just leads to a bad working atmosphere and poor work!

At the end of the day you should be able to go to work get along with everyone, have a few laughs and go home!

A happy work place is a more productive work place!

last time i worked on site, this clever t*** decided it would be a good idea to cut into the insulation on my VDE cutters. he wasn't happy to find a dog turd in his toolbox.

last time i worked on site, this clever t*** decided it would be a good idea to cut into the insulation on my VDE cutters. he wasn't happy to find a dog turd in his toolbox.

Take it his tools were turd then! haha serves him right!

You should never give what you can't take, bet he was the laughing stock of the site!

Telectrix- think I can smell something bull**** right there. Nothing to do with the argument!

I thought the argument was finished, many opinions , main consensus was that keep consistent throughout or match manufacturers lighting systems, and regards you, I think it don’t mater, you still going to "rape" your pure lads on site
:6:, feel sorry for them. lol......

I think you are a very very good spark, otherwise I find it hard to understand how you achieved what you achieved (being a foreman on many sites). I bet you going to buy some beer for them lads on Friday, aren’t you?

Last edited:

Reply to polarity argument at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net