Discuss price guide in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm currently pricing a house rewire and was wondering would anyone be able to check my prices to see if there to high/low?

Pendant with switch £65
Socket £45
Spur and socket £55
Cooker £150
Spots £20
DB £350
Water/gas bonds £120
Alarm £400
Boiler with stat £100
Test £120

The house will be empty so no messing around with furniture

Where are you?
How big is the house?
Wwhat is the total figure?
Have you got many competitors?
Have you done work for them before?
etc, etc

What you've listed doesn't really constitute a rewire. I wouldn't be trying to price per point for a full rewire! We can't give an opinion on what you've listed.....what about circuit lengths etc..?

In the Manchester area. Its a 3 bed semi, so not a massive house really.
What would be the best approach then. Sit down and try and guess how long it would take and price it that way?
Don't know what competitors will be charging to be fair.

you have to accept that you will not win every job, but that you must price to do a good job using materials of a quality that you are happy to endorse, (ie you will be dealing with faulty/waranty issues)

Personally I have a costs list for materials, eg socket, back box, plugs and screws = £5 per point, switch point =£5 shower pull cord £15, oven point £25 etc etc

these are the cost for the materials, so i'm not then adding screws etc etc to the job, and it keeps it simple for me.

I then get an upto date price on the cable required, and simply use my many years of experience and a finger in the wind to guess how much cable i actually need, usually for a three bed semi i'd expect to use 150m each of 1.0, and 2.5 and i'd allow 100 of 3c+e @ 1.0mm, then whatever for shower, cooker, tv, telephone data etc etc etc.

Then simply add the cost of labour, again an experiance/wind finger/ guess type thing.

sometimes you get lucky and you'll a) get the job and b) make money on it, sometimes you'll get the job then get messed about, and break even.

for few ideas, recently we've done a 3 bed bungalow £3500, a two bed semi £3700, these are both on the basis of 2 weeks labour plus materials, no VAT.

it's not unlikely that even if they haven't got a cheaper quote they will tell you they have, be prepared and stick fast, I can get 2g sockets for under 50p each but there's not a chance i'd like to use them, it's hard to quote against others without a spec.

good luck

socket price 50 33 1650
pendant and switch 80 5 400
fuse spur and socket 85 5 425
cooker 150 2 300
change db. 300 1 300
earth bonding. 120 1 120
additional bonding 40. 1 40
testing 100 1 100
smokes 75 2 150
boiler 80 1 80
spots (led bulbs). 25 45 1125
fans Inc coring 125 4 500
outside lgts 75 5 375

total 5565

Got the job aswel which was nice, said some one else quoted nearly 7k!

socket price 50 33 1650
pendant and switch 80 5 400
fuse spur and socket 85 5 425
cooker 150 2 300
change db. 300 1 300
earth bonding. 120 1 120
additional bonding 40. 1 40
testing 100 1 100
smokes 75 2 150
boiler 80 1 80
spots (led bulbs). 25 45 1125
fans Inc coring 125 4 500
outside lgts 75 5 375

total 5565

Got the job aswel which was nice, said some one else quoted nearly 7k!

Are you VAT registered? If not you have a 20% advantage over them. Your price plus VAT comes to £6678.00

I've been charging £25 per point (labour) + materials with no mark-up.
A little extra for diesel if its over a 30 min drive.
If I price any higher the work doesn't happen. Get the job 60% of the time on this basis- if anybody gets it. Lately there have been people getting prices in, then not getting the work done, at all.

(Teesside)

Reply to price guide in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock