Discuss Resistivity in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

manda

Hi all.
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm unsure where.
Could someone please break down this formula into easy to grasp terms for me.
R=Pl (ohms) divided by A
where P is the resistivity constant for the material (ohms m)
l=length of material (m)
a= cross sectional area of material (m2)

I have been given the resistivity of silver as 16.4 x 10-9 ohms meter.

Firstly: how is a cross sectional area different from an area?
secondly: does 16.4 X10-9 ohms mean i must multiply 16.4 x 10 minus nine and if not could someone please explain it?
this is just an example i have been given and would appreciate any help to understand it.
thanks all.:confused:

Hi all.
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I'm unsure where.
Could someone please break down this formula into easy to grasp terms for me.
R=Pl (ohms) divided by A
where P is the resistivity constant for the material (ohms m)
l=length of material (m)
a= cross sectional area of material (m2)

I have been given the resistivity of silver as 16.4 x 10-9 ohms meter.

Firstly: how is a cross sectional area different from an area?
The cross sectional area is just that, the 2-dimensional area of a cross section (or slice) of an object.

secondly: does 16.4 X10-9 ohms mean i must multiply 16.4 x 10 minus nine and if not could someone please explain it?
It's actually 16.4 x 10 to the power of -9 or
16.4 x (10 divided by itself 9 times) or
16.4 x (10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10) or
16.4 x 0.000000001 = 0.0000000164

this is just an example i have been given and would appreciate any help to understand it.
thanks all.:confused:

My GREEN

Last edited by a moderator:
You need a scientific calculator for the 2330 something like THIS from casio about £8 in shops like wilkinsons. The button in the middle at the bottom will make dealing with all the 10 to the power x, or -x, questions dead easy.

Thank you Pushrod, luckily the wiring regs book is supplied when needed in the course and will check now about the one you recommended. I think i need to find a separate course to learn how to use this damned calculator ;) will take some getting used to me thinks.

re - the calculator definitely worth going thru the instruction manual, if you didn't instantly bin it, to get used to it. If it is the casio one the x-1 button near the top right hand corner can certainly make resistances in parallel calculations massively quicker and easier. Good luck anyway.

Yep that's the one. I did keep the manual and will read through it although I don't hold out much hope of it making much sense to me lol. Thanks for all the advice it's much appreciated!! :)

Reply to Resistivity in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net