Discuss Rewire while house occupied. - Tips and strategies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'll be quoting this week on a 1950's rewire. House occupied by couple with young lad. They might be able to take the odd long weekend away but basically I'm working round them.

They understand there will be mess, and I've said I can channel where necessary only with bolster/chisel to reduce dust. The old CU is a dangerous mess, lighting is rubber (but in metal wall conduit which should help replacement in some of the places). Sockets are 1980's white T&E and very DIY. Carpets are either up or expendable.

There is not much space where the CU will go. I might grab an old 2 way CU to give me temporary power (via RCD socket) while I selectively take down the rest.

Exact strategy would depend on circumstance, but got any tips for when folks want to stay in the house throughout?

make sure your quote is high enough to cover the extra time it will take you. sometimes it helps to work area by area, 1st & 2nd fix each room/circuit, rather than 1st fix the lot then go back into rooms and move furniture again to 2nd fix.

You will need to allow time to put the boards and carpets back every night even if loose and the carpets just temporary, a rewire normally takes around a week IMO to do the job properly, I would allow another day or two on top of that if working around a family, JMO.

i'm must be getting old and slow. generally allow 8-10 days for occupied rewire. much prefer the smaller jobs. in and out in a day or less.

A great idea I reckon with occupied rewire is to get a VERY clear agreement before you start ripping up boards as to what they want / where it goes sort of stuff, defo agree about the area by area approach dapping in to the old board as you go then do the board change last. The upstairs lights is a good job for first thing, first day as you get in easy and have a while to suss things fully..

keep hovering throughout the day

helicopter uses too much fuel for that. i usually drop the tools off, then park the chopper on the lawn.

helicopter uses too much fuel for that. i usually drop the tools off, then park the chopper on the lawn.

Hope the "Training Centres" offering the earth for £6000 don't see that post...

Next thing is we'll be seeing new advertising popping up... "Train to be a fully qualified electrician in 5 weeks! Earn £50,000 and have your own helicopter to get to work!"

Reply to Rewire while house occupied. - Tips and strategies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net