Discuss Running cables to an island in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Could use a few ideas, have this room and I need to get some more PCs in there. Best way I'm thinking is island bench to replace the white freestanding desks. That will be least desk installation work, but I need ideas for getting the cables to that island. Some facts:

1st floor, concrete, no void below, not sure if I can channel the concrete as will be providing structural support. False ceiling can be seen upper right of picture, so best option probably to drop cables from above. At the moment I'm thinking 2 decent bits of trunking back to back for a nice solid drop, but wondering if anyone had any brighter ideas. Going to be 20 computers on this island so there'll be a fair bit of electric and data.

Running cables to an island Capture.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

Bite the bullet and install some floor trunking with points under each desk, or island, I should the concrete you talk of maybe a screed which should be fairly easy to chop out, well not easy as such, but a sight more easy than structural concrete.

Only thing is ceiling tiles are around 3.5m up so I could get a 3.6m kit and that would look tidy. Fixed at the floor and then also held in place by the desks will make it pretty firm but I'd still want it securing properly the other side of the ceiling tiles, might need to get down to DT and see if I can cobble a bracket or some sort together.

Only thing is ceiling tiles are around 3.5m up so I could get a 3.6m kit and that would look tidy. Fixed at the floor and then also held in place by the desks will make it pretty firm but I'd still want it securing properly the other side of the ceiling tiles, might need to get down to DT and see if I can cobble a bracket or some sort together.

Yep, they are usually fixed to the proper ceiling above. I think you can get bracket kits and extension parts for most systems.
Shop about as well as they can be extortionate.

Maybe fix it to unistrut spanned between the walls above the ceiling?

So the desks are still going to be mobile? Not fixed islands? I would have fixed the power pole to the island and then used bench trunking down the island. Not cheap so it depends on the budget.

Running cables to an island pvcu_bench_01 - EletriciansForums.net

No, they'll be fixed, and something similar to what you've posted John will be installed to the desks - haven't decided that bit yet though.

I could span strut but narrowest point is about 10m and retrofitting will be a nightmare. I can't fix the pole to the real roof as it's about 3m above the drop ceiling and also riddled with the lovely dusty stuff we're meant to avoid. I haven't even looked above the tiles yet, there's likely to be trunking or strut in place I can fix to with a bit of planning and a touch of ingenuity.

Thanks for the responses.

How about just creating bays round the outside and extend whats already there? Might work out cheaper and negate the need for a bit of working at height.

How about just creating bays round the outside and extend whats already there? Might work out cheaper and negate the need for a bit of working at height.
We've measured up, it won't give us the space we need for the computers we need. Additionally, we need to run fresh circuits anyway otherwise we'd have 30 computers on one RCBO

What distances should basket be supported? Reason I ask is I need to get cables from one side of the room to the other in our server room, and can't touch the ceiling due to asbestos. I was originally going to install some strut wall to wall, and then secure the basket on top so it's using the strut for support. However, I've just had the basket delivered and it feels sturdy enough to span 2.5m without further support (wall brackets only).

What do we reckon? Put the strut in for support still?

Is there going to be a void created with the island?.. If so make it accessible, then you could install a small cu for the pc power circuits and a 24 port switch for all the data..
All you need to worry about then is getting 1 power cable and 1 cat6 cable to the island..

What distances should basket be supported? Reason I ask is I need to get cables from one side of the room to the other in our server room, and can't touch the ceiling due to asbestos. I was originally going to install some strut wall to wall, and then secure the basket on top so it's using the strut for support. However, I've just had the basket delivered and it feels sturdy enough to span 2.5m without further support (wall brackets only).

i'd not bother with basket. just fit unistrut and secure cables to that. power in the channel and cat6 underneath.

Check the manufacturers data to be certain, but I wouldnt personally be happy with a 2.5m span between supports

Thanks all, strut with basket on top it is then. Reason for basket is for data (only 20 cables at the moment but could potentially have a fair bit of weight in years to come). Power has a trunking run right to above where the power pole is going, so that's all good.

Definitely not keen on a sub-board and 24-port switch - might cut it in a small business network but not the way to do things on this scale, if for no other reason than it creates another point to worry about.

Out of interest, what would people charge labour only for this job. I'm starting to make a bit of a log of jobs as the school is going through a rough patch, want to be ready to say 'well if you get rid of my role this is what it's gonna cost you'.

So the job is installation of a power pole, 2 rings (10 sockets each) and 20 cat5e points in some box trunking under the desk. Cable runs are about 35-40m and a bit of a nightmare, through 3 lots of 18" thick solid wall. All materials excluded, what would you price?

Reply to Running cables to an island in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock