Discuss Sanity check - replacing MCBs with RCBOs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drjarmin

Hi All

Wanted to get feedback on this idea.

I have 3 fuse boards which trip frequently whenever there is a lightening storm nearby. My electrician friend has suggested he swaps all the MCB's with RCBO's so that individual circuits trip rather than the whole board. Each board currently has a main RCB for protection - the proposal is to replace it with a 63A MCB.

1. Is this a good idea? I can't see a downside other than cost.

2. Any other thoughts on how to stop these boards tripping everytime there is a burst of lightening nearby?

Thanks!

i'd be getting a competent electrician to test the RCDs.

IR tests and ramp tests would probably help. and... when there's a storm, there's usually rain. rain is wet. wet causes RCDs to trip.

Hi All

Wanted to get feedback on this idea.

I have 3 fuse boards which trip frequently whenever there is a lightening storm nearby. My electrician friend has suggested he swaps all the MCB's with RCBO's so that individual circuits trip rather than the whole board. Each board currently has a main RCB for protection - the proposal is to replace it with a 63A MCB.

1. Is this a good idea? I can't see a downside other than cost.

2. Any other thoughts on how to stop these boards tripping everytime there is a burst of lightening nearby?

Thanks!

Unless it’s a DP MCB it’s a dumb idea.

What testing did you’re “electrician friend” carry out before recommending replacing the existing MCB’s with expensive RCBO’s. Which if SP provide less protection than you have now. Only very expensive DP or SPSN RCBO’s give real protection.

Hi Tony

Do you mind to expand on that?

Thanks

I don’t believe your “electrician friend” exists.

A photograph of this set up would help.

Rain getting into an outside light fitting?

One of the boards does have lighting outdoors and this circuit was found to have a fault. I checked some of the lamps and indeed the rubber was starting to perish and there was water.

However, there are two other boards. They also trip but less frequently. Each board comes from a separate meter.

This just gets better. The OP is in Hong Kong!

I’m surprised more of you don’t use the search previous started threads on EF.

>Edit<

Just read #15 after searching previous posts.

OP your "electrician friend" spends a lot of time on holiday.

Unless it’s a DP MCB it’s a dumb idea.

What testing did you’re “electrician friend” carry out before recommending replacing the existing MCB’s with expensive RCBO’s. Which if SP provide less protection than you have now. Only very expensive DP or SPSN RCBO’s give real protection.

I don’t believe your “electrician friend” exists.

A photograph of this set up would help.

Here is the current state of one of the boards. I can't get 6A RCBOs here so have ordered some from TLC which are arriving tomorrow. All the other MCBs have been replaced.

I can't speak to the testing the electrician did. He is UK certified (ex NHS). He came round and said there was earth leakage on the circuit which in turn leads to a distribution board outside with 3 further circuits (2 for lighting, one to power the garden shed). He recommended moving to RCBOs. I didn't know they existed until he mentioned them and I'm certainly not doing the work myself.

The problem is he repeatedly doesn't show up and doesn't return / answer calls. The picture is how he left my board on Monday saying he'd be back on Tuesday and hasn't reappeared. This is not an uncommon pattern and has been going on for months. Two reasons I've stuck with this situation - 1. He rewired the house and installed that board (and the other two) so should know the layout better than anyone else and 2. I am trying to find someone else to finish this off but it isn't easy. Haven't managed to find anyone who will pick up the work despite trying for months. The local practice is simply to rip everything out and start from scratch. There is no appetite to pick up from where someone left off.

Hence my question is this even the correct way to go!

I'm sorry but the proposed method of "solving" this problem is ridiculous, you've already found the cause of the tripping on one board and you're not an electrician so how come your "electrician friend" couldn't locate it?
Get someone in who knows what they are doing and so will be able to find the reason for the other boards tripping and come up with a sensible, cost effective method of resolution. If you're determined to throw good money away I'll come over with my test gear as long as you are prepared to pay the exorbitant fees for travel accommodation and subsistence as well as my very reasonable fee for my professional services.

I'm sorry but the proposed method of "solving" this problem is ridiculous, you've already found the cause of the tripping on one board and you're not an electrician so how come your "electrician friend" couldn't locate it?
Get someone in who knows what they are doing and so will be able to find the reason for the other boards tripping and come up with a sensible, cost effective method of resolution. If you're determined to throw good money away I'll come over with my test gear as long as you are prepared to pay the exorbitant fees for travel accommodation and subsistence as well as my very reasonable fee for my professional services.

you missed out the 1st class flight fare, and the 2 weeks holiday in the seychelles on your way home.

Reply to Sanity check - replacing MCBs with RCBOs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net