Discuss School/commercial kitchen electrics testing frequency in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

karissabob

Hi there, 1st post :D

Does anyone have any guidance on the following scenario please with regard mains electrical testing frequencies.

We know that educational establishments should have their mains electrics inspected and tested every 5 years, however does anyone know about the frequency for kitchens?

This particular kitchen is based on school premises for use by the school, but is housed in a 'Portakabin' separate from the school buildings, and is managed by an external company i.e. the cooks are not employees of the school. There is an adjoining dining room (same Portakabin affair). How often should their electrics be tested?

Previous labels state they were tested in 2008 and a re-test due in 2009, so suggest yearly, which would agree with the guidance on buildings open to the public - restaurants and hotels, but what category does this particular building come under?

Any advice gratefully received, many thanks!

The maximum time period I would choose from the guidance, is 5 years.
That's applicable to both an education establishment, and a resturant.
Of course that would be ammended, if upon inspection, I were to find significant deterioration, or other factors that might indicate a shorter interval is warrented.
You really should be looking at the previous reports, rather than the labels.

Portakabin suggests temporary building to me Check and see as if its hired by contractor supplying the catering the hire company may be responsible As Skinny says MAX 5 yrs unless there are signs of deterioration or abuse

Thanks for the quick responses, I'll take it at 5 years then :)

The building isn't temporary as it has been there 2 or 3 years, and will be for the forseeable future. There aren't any previous reports either, as record keeping is a little poor and the labels are all I have to go on.... The condition of the electrics looks OK though

Reply to School/commercial kitchen electrics testing frequency in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net