Discuss Shaver points in bathroom cupboard in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BillyTheSparks

I was wondering if anyone could help out with this....

I have a job to price and the client wants 2x shaver points just for there toothbrush charger bases. They don't want the duel voltage type as they're "too big and ugly".

I have suggested the single voltage type (MK K700) to go in the bathroom cabinet. All was good until I saw one and it doesn't have a safty isolating transformer built into it.:(

So I know that this can't be fitted in the bathroom, but if it's installed in the cabinet would it comply?

If not do you think it would be possible to fit a transformer (from an duel voltage shaver) in the loft space, with the L+N suppling it and the 2x shavers supplied from the 'load' side? (This would be in an adaptable box marked with what it was doing ect)

Any suggestions would be appriciated
Thanks

depending on wether it will be outside zones (doubtfull) then i would still say no, opening the cupboard to use the points would still not comply. wet hands in wrong zone etc

I don't think you're supposed to use electric toothbrush chargers with shaver sockets - something to do with the isolating transformer not being rated for continuous use.
The k700 wouldn't be suitable for use within the zones, but you could maybe have a socket in an enclosure which requires a tool to open it to remove the plug provided the customer isn't just going to permanently remove the cover 'for convenience sake' as soon as you leave.

toothbrushes only need charging once every 10-14 days. why would they want to charge them in the bathroom anyway? much better to have the chargers tucked away in a corner of the bedroom.

depending on wether it will be outside zones (doubtfull) then i would still say no, opening the cupboard to use the points would still not comply. wet hands in wrong zone etc

The cabinet is to go above the sinks, and the shavers will be outside zone 2 (not just by being inside the cupboard) but also by distance.
I don't think you're supposed to use electric toothbrush chargers with shaver sockets - something to do with the isolating transformer not being rated for continuous use.

It seems thats all people use them for.:cool:

toothbrushes only need charging once every 10-14 days. why would they want to charge them in the bathroom anyway? much better to have the chargers tucked away in a corner of the bedroom.

I've never owned an electric toothbrush, but im guessing that it'll be for their convinence:confused: That's what I'd do anyway:).

Personally, I would tell them the normal shaver sockets are built to be put in this sort of situation, they are in a cupboard why would it matter if they were ugly, I wouldnt go butchering things to have the tranny in the loft, your the pro, tell them what complies

I might be reading this wrong but my understanding is if you use electrical seperation you can only put one item of current using equipment on that circuit.

Reply to Shaver points in bathroom cupboard in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net