Discuss Statutory requirement in Scotland for landlords to have electrical safety checks in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just reported by the NICEIC. I know some people will have a good moan about the NIC and AP's but at least we don't have DI's and this stops all the Dangerous Daves and Roger the bodgers doing the I&T:

NICEIC registered contractors in Scotland are recognised as satisfying statutory guidance in a new law which will see landlords obliged to carry out electrical safety inspections on privately rented properties at least every five years.

The new legislation comes into effect from December 1 2015 and is designed to reduce the number of domestic fires caused by electrical faults. The official guidance surrounding the ruling and what it means for landlords in Scotland was officially launched by Housing and Welfare Minister Margaret Burgess.

From December anyone carrying out an electrical safety inspection on behalf of a landlord must be employed by a firm that is a member of an accredited body such as NICEIC.

All inspections must be carried out before a tenancy starts and at intervals of no more than five years. It is not a requirement to carry out a new inspection every time a new tenancy starts as long as an inspection has taken place in the previous five years.

“NICEIC has regularly campaigned for tougher laws surrounding electrical safety in the home and we are delighted to be working with the Scottish government on this significant step forward,” added Emma Clancy, Certsure CEO.

From December anyone carrying out an electrical safety inspection on behalf of a landlord must be employed by a firm that is a member of an accredited body such as NICEIC.

It will be a complete and utter waste of time as far as safety standards and improving the inspection quality levels

By registering the enrolled company rather than the competence of the individual (the one who actually carries out the testing)you will be back to exactly what is current, Eicr con tricks performed by unscrupulous registered companies who employ lame ducks under the relevant banner

For a system to actually make improvement,there needs to be registration of the competent individual

employed by a firm

Wonder how that will work with most having to be sub-sub contractors, being technically employed by a clueless employment firm, agency or whatever technicality to avoid employment rights

Another government body, this time the Scottish government totally brainwashed by the NICEIC!!

As i stated before, this should be based on the actual electrician conducting these mandatory EICR's and that basically means holders of SJIB/JIB electrician cards. The only thing the NICEIC is really interested in, is additional paying members. As for them campaigning for tougher safety laws, perhaps they can explain purely on a safety basis, how the hell they can admit under qualified, inexperienced, skilless 17 day/Electrical Trainee into their membership, that can then legally go into peoples homes and start mucking around with electrical installations in England & Wales??

Perhaps these lay people in the Scottish government, should have spent a little more time researching this profit based organisation instead of being impressed with the totally inaccurate ''self patting on the back'' propaganda they love to spread around....

Another government body, this time the Scottish government totally brainwashed by the NICEIC!!

As i stated before, this should be based on the actual electrician conducting these mandatory EICR's and that basically means holders of SJIB/JIB electrician cards. The only thing the NICEIC is really interested in, is additional paying members. As for them campaigning for tougher safety laws, perhaps they can explain purely on a safety basis, how the hell they can admit under qualified, inexperienced, skilless 17 day/Electrical Trainee into their membership, that can then legally go into peoples homes and start mucking around with electrical installations in England & Wales??

Perhaps these lay people in the Scottish government, should have spent a little more time researching this profit based organisation instead of being impressed with the totally inaccurate ''self patting on the back'' propaganda they love to spread around....

As a raving political nut I made a point of approaching my MSP when the legislation was on its way.
I didn't get direct input on the act as the act was an enabling act.

I did get in contact with the housing minister who put me in contact with her assistant who then put me in contact with the person drafting the guidance;

I will continue this post on my thread in the arms as some things are best left in the arms...

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...tory-electrical-checks-scotland-wish-you.html

Reply to Statutory requirement in Scotland for landlords to have electrical safety checks in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net