Discuss Sunpower system, which is best? Opinions? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Still wondering if anyone can enlighten me on the price difference I should be paying between the samil,power one or even if I ask the two installers to requote for the SMA....although I think they both stated independently that SMA werent worth the "extra money"

Why not ask the Samil guy to re-quote with a Power One?

There must be more to base your decision on than just the price. Which one did you trust more? Which did the better survey and produced the clearest paperwork?

Which one did you trust more? Which did the better survey and produced the clearest paperwork?

I felt both were trustworthy.

Both were thorough on survey.
Samil guy was a bit tardier on producing paperwork, but I felt had more experience.
Two younger guys came from the other company and were much quicker on responses, and I felt they were a bit more involved/dedicated/interested. Bottom line is I am looking at the price to try and help on the decision! If they both offered the same price and the same equipment it would be even worse! Head says older guy will be around longer. heart says younger ones will do a good job and would like to give them the work as they probably need it more......aaaargh.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out both here and with PM's. I have weighed it all up and made a decision finally,bit of a relief. Expect a flurry of posts on 24th!

I was under the impression these panels needed special earthing arrangements as when we fitted the Benq Sun Forte panels we were advised to use an Eltek inverter configured for positive grounding.

Jason - I could be wrong but I believe their official stance was that if you wanted to get optimum performance out of their previous Sun Forte panels, then they recommend that the +ve branch of the DC string is earthed. For this reason they dictated that you should NOT use a TL inverter when choosing to do that. However, apparently their new (not sure if available yet) modules do not need to be +ve grounded and, therefore, the use of TL inverters is not prohibited.

That's my take on it anyway, I'm sure others who are sourcing/using these BenQ modules will clarify.

Have they altered the panel
I assume so. As of the latest shipment, there's no need to ground positive and can use TL inverters, where the reverse applied to the previous shipments.

So check with suppliers, as some will still have old stock I'd assume.

Just curious, which choice did you make?

I am going with the younger guys. A forum member from up north very kindly looked at both guys quotes and told me which one he would choose from the paperwork. So thank you to my "independent solar advisor",

Powerone inverter, but now you have worried me about the earthing.

If they are the 'latest' PM096B00 modules, grounding / earthing /bonding is not necessary when using a TL inverter , subject to the PV Guide

Latest Installation instructions attached, see para 4.4 p 15 (2013 Vn 1.1)
Comply with the local regulations for earthing the modules and the PV array.

View attachment InstallationGuide_en.pdf

Update for you... Just spent today up at Waxman's Training centre - they've got a good set up there, everything from Biomass to PV.

Main reason for update: the old and the new:

Waxman are stocking and selling the NEW BenQ panels that are OK with TL inverters.

They claim that the Sungift stocks are the OLD panels that have the earthing/grounding requirement and can;t be used with TL inverters.

I did some of my training there when Simon was teaching. Do they still have that solar thermal panel slung on the wall

Yep!

Seems like I have to have more than six letters in my reply...

Reply to Sunpower system, which is best? Opinions? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net