Discuss Sunpower system, which is best? Opinions? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just for those that didn't notice - the DC isolator is built into the inverter (underside on the left).

Why the row of red tiles?

Shame they've not ground the back of the tiles out to accommodate the hooks - they're standing proud. A couple of clips on the external AC cable wouldn't hurt either. And is that a 17th edition (twin RCD) MK Sentry board?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the basis that the panels weren't yet fitted and so therefore they hadn't yet finished and are coming back, I was keeping quiet ....
I presumed that they would come back and:
Cables tie wrapped to rails would be done when panels installed.
Dual colour code stickers and schematic at connection pint when they sign off and test the installation.
DC cable labels, Inverter and External AC Isolator labels when they commission the inverter.
What the hooks should look like to be MCS compliant:
(Had to do that on a 20KW install this spring .....200 tiles later...)
PVGuide-Tiles.jpg

Worcester;852022 Why the row of red tiles?[/QUOTE said:
Long story short. Tiles came off in 1987 and replacements couldnt be found. Ordinary double romans were used instead of the green glazed and painted. They were moved to be under the solar panels where they wouldnt show.
solar pv 005.jpg
MK yes, have some kind of earth solution performed by western power.

PV stickers all over the inverter

All seems in order except the monitor isnt working properly, but as they finished the install on Saturday they couldnt talk to anyone about it and will sort Monday.

I guess if the system doesnt come off with the storm we have now I neednt ask them to come back and get notching?

Julian C -s comment "A couple of clips on the external AC cable wouldn't hurt either", I dont know what you mean, is that cable ties for neatnes....is it done right now? Expecting WP back again so will they do this?

@Wortle,

I was just being exceedingly picky :), and I have no doubt that if one of the other well known contributors on here had a look at one of our sites there would be something that they would do differently.

Nothing looks dangerous.

Re the red tiles, I thought it was something like that.

t is a pain and takes time, however we would have notched them., I've no doubt GavinA will have advice as to whether to leave it or get them to fix it. - They won't like coming back. However you don't want a problem over the next 25 years.

@Wortle,

I was just being exceedingly picky :)
It's good to know this sort of thing before the event...but I got so much good advice on here that this is a detail perhaps the next non professional can benefit from when they start the PV research trail picking up advice on this forum. Meanwhile installers all over the country will be wondering who has spilt the beans to the notching while they sit whittling away at tiles!

Well as I said, I think the system is going to get well tested tonight as last reports showed us in the main storm path. Not looking forward to it really.

Worcester Do you still notch tiles with the REDTIP roof anchors

Yes and no! - On plain tiles, don't need to :) In fact our MCS inspection this year was on a HookStop installation.
2-IMG_2260.JPG

Other tile types, yes we still notch if needed.

I've no doubt GavinA will have advice as to whether to leave it or get them to fix it. - They won't like coming back. However you don't want a problem over the next 25 years.
I was staying well out of this tbh.

but yes we'd always grind out the lugs so the tiles sit down as a matter of course. Tbh I'm never so concerned about the middle ones, but the ones around the edges I work on the basis that they definitely shouldn't stick up to the point where you can actually see between the 2 tiles into the underside... ie so that wind blown rain can't get in below the tiles.

Reply to Sunpower system, which is best? Opinions? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net