Discuss Sunpower system, which is best? Opinions? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Update for you... Just spent today up at Waxman's Training centre - they've got a good set up there, everything from Biomass to PV.

Main reason for update: the old and the new:

Waxman are stocking and selling the NEW BenQ panels that are OK with TL inverters.

They claim that the Sungift stocks are the OLD panels that have the earthing/grounding requirement and can;t be used with TL inverters.
cheeky gits.

It's sungift I got this info from.

Hi guys,

Having a 'mare here.

Still not installed and they started Wednesday. The planets are not aligned for me!

Is a sunpower 3.6 inverter better than the powerone? The same, badged up?

Thanks

Possibly, post a photo and we'll tell you, also post a photo of the serial number plate / sticker that should be on the right hand side.

Also if has been rebadged, it may not be configured internally for the strings in the same way that a UK standard Power-One PVI-3.6OUTD is.

Hi guys,

Having a 'mare here.

Still not installed and they started Wednesday. The planets are not aligned for me!

Is a sunpower 3.6 inverter better than the powerone? The same, badged up?

Thanks

What's the problem? Are the panels on the roof ok? A Power One 3.6 looked ideal for the job. These are available off the shelf at several of the big PV distributors.

Don't let them take the scaffold away until you're 100% convinced it's working fine.

Guys came Weds as forecast not good, got all wiring in place and rails, readyn for Thursday delivery.
Thurs they turned up and waited all day but no delivery as M5 closed.
fri they turn up again and wait til 2 pm for "first drop", 26 ton lorry gets stuck in lanes (they warned them not to use it) Towed out, then try to get through an ancient bridge with a sharp turn and 6'6" width restriction.Panels arrived but too windy to take up on roof. Then discover no earth on whole system and have to get Western Power out. They have now fitted the different inverter to the wall. WP have beeen out and done some voodoo in the dark.....etc etc etc.

Will photograph inverterr in the morning.

Aaaaaagh

I'm amazed at the lack on Sunpower knowledge on this forum, Their inverters are the same as the normal Power Ones except for some snazzy sunpower branding and a 10 year warranty as standard. They cost about £300 more than a Samil.

Sunpower partners are chosen by Sunpower to represent them and have to pass rigorous conditions imposed by Sunpower so i wouldn't start worrying yet, sounds like the installers will be just as annoyed as you that they have not been able to finish the job!

Ok Thanks.
Yep the installers are great, it just seems God has it in for me, so wanted to check out the inverter was at least equivalent. They were as surprised as me that it was sent. housebuild 003.jpg

Photographed barcodes etc, guess thats all the same as you were asking for?

Spot on - that's the right inverter at least :)

Based on Energetics comments it would be interesting to see photos of the hook and rail installation as well as the electrics.

checking earth and bonding should have been done as part of the technical survey when they did the roof structural survey. Ask for a copy of the structural and wind load calculations that they must have done as well.

Do you actually check the Ze on an initial survey then Worcester?

We do visual checks, but if it's a suppliers earth that's at fault that's a bit much to expect to be picked up on the survey IMO. We've had similar issues maybe 2-3 times with TN-CS systems, couple more with fake TN-CS systems where someone's just strapped an earth band to the DNO cable without DNO premission, and a few using the water as the main earth, which are probably the ones that could have been picked up on a survey, but fairly easily missed unless it's an actual spark doing the survey (and even then...)

I'm amazed at the lack on Sunpower knowledge on this forum, Their inverters are the same as the normal Power Ones except for some snazzy sunpower branding and a 10 year warranty as standard. They cost about £300 more than a Samil.

Sunpower partners are chosen by Sunpower to represent them and have to pass rigorous conditions imposed by Sunpower so i wouldn't start worrying yet, sounds like the installers will be just as annoyed as you that they have not been able to finish the job!
Tbh this thread makes me quite happy not to know much about sunpower.

I've yet to see anyone ever being complimentary about their logistics, and this sounds pretty farcical.

Do you actually check the Ze on an initial survey then Worcester?

Nope. like you visual checks, is it there, what's the supply type, what condition is it in, is it adequately sized - picked up one yesterday, no bonding on the oil line. OP's comments said: "Then discover no earth on whole system"

By which I took it that there was no main earthing terminal, which should have been spotted, hence my further comments about what else they might have missed / skimped e.g. structural survey.

From our discussions with Sunpower, they want to maintain this degree of control, however their selection process of installers to maintain this degree of 'exclusivity' with partners, seemed to be more one of how much you'd spend with them rather than the quality of your installation work - We walked away.

To be fair to the installers, this week has been c**p weather, Wednesday here was torrential, and even we wouldn't have got a lot done outside, and I'm sure also we've all had jobs when the materials turned up late. We always advise customers of the maximum length of time it could take , and also tell them what we'd like it to take, so no surprises, and no pressure on the team to rush the job or to take unnecessary risks.

For the OP, I believe from what you have told us so far you have chosen your installers wisely, yes they have had some issues with Earths and logistics, but it sounds like they are dealing with them as well as they can do and they are still turning up on site which is all credit to them.

By which I took it that there was no main earthing terminal, which should have been spotted, hence my further comments about what else they might have missed / skimped e.g. structural survey.
if the DNO were out working in the dark, that sounds a lot more like a fault on the DNO earth connections further down the line to me, which isn't going to get picked up via a visual in the house. Could be wrong, but that's what I took it to mean.

Hi, I am in no way upset by anything the installers have done. They have reacted responsibly to everything which has happened. The earth fault business I dont understand but dont really think it was anything they would have expected as there was talk of renewing a box on a pole which seems down to the Power company.
here come the pics I hopeSolarsystem 010.jpgSolarsystem 002.jpgSolarsystem 003.jpgSolarsystem 008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Sunpower system, which is best? Opinions? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net