Discuss SWA/SY cable in a fibre duct in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
OK. I can already feel the eyes rolling

I am working in a yard where we are having trouble with vandalism.
There is absolutely no way of getting a cable (easily) down the to front gate, as the perimeter is hedging and the car park is concreted entirely.

The ONLY duct to the gate from the building houses a pair of Fibre optic broadband cables. I think it's a flexible 50mm duct and it has a draw rope.

This is a no no I realise. but kinda out of ideas. Cutting up the car park isn't going to happen.

I could in theory, just run an external cat6e down there and put up a POE camera. But ideally we want to put up a couple LED floods.

The mains I don't believe will interfere with the fibre, but I am sure this will be massively frowned upon.

Shall I get my coat?

edit...

The other option is to go the long way around, but that would mean some kind of trunking mounted to a fence like the one below.
Not an easy install, and the fence 'could' be damaged by reversing cars, so I imagine it will need mechanical protection from that possible event.
Can you install Galv trunking outside successfully?

Reason for trunking is there is talk of future car chargers, so the ability to run multiple cables out would be helpful.

Attachments

• Fence.gif
    227.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Can you not dig in a duct along the fence . I wouldn't want to run trunking outside. You can run tray outside but if they are having problems with vandalism. This could be damaged

No. The concrete has been run almost right up to a pretty well established hedge. Digging it would be a nightmare.
Trunking outside seems a bit rubbish. Yes, tray would look far better, but like you say.... vandals etc

I think at this point, I may run tray.
It's only about 60m. I reckon if I throw in a 3 core 6mm SWA to the bottom of an existing lamppost (that is entirely dead - cut off years ago), then I am covered. Only planning to run a couple of 300w LED floods.
6mm should give me leeway for any later additions.

Last edited:
If you run tray I would fit another run of tray over the top to help prevent vandals cutting the cables. Also make sure the tray ratted to be used outside

Yes. Hot dipped tray is what you want. It doesn’t look as neat as the other tray but its got a proper protective coating on it. Spray any cuts with plenty of galvanised spray too. Personally i would to to an iron mungers for the paint as the stuff from cites etc can be pretty naff.

If it were me,

fibre is tough flex or swa
drag in a power swa next to it.

or
if fibre is unprotected then no I would not risk pulling anything down the same duct.

I'm wondering if galv conduit along the fence is worth considering. I realise not everyone is tooled up for it. As good as it gets for vandal-proof?

I'm wondering if galv conduit along the fence is worth considering. I realise not everyone is tooled up for it. As good as it gets for vandal-proof?

Probably easier to pull galv conduit free, with the risk of damaging single insulated conductors inside, than pulling SWA (fixed with steel ties) from tray. I guess nothing is safe from suitably motivated vandals and in this instance the most secure methods of routing cables aren't up for consideration.

Whilst not ignoring the practical issues of the risk of mechanical damage to the other service/s in the duct….. fibre optic is fibre optic - not a conductor. Install a 3c 230v SWA, an 11KV single or a set of tunnelling monkeys, it won’t care.

Lot's of unknowns where the duct is concerned. 2" isn't a great start, but is the run relatively short and straight? Was the rope pulled in alongside fibre or was it pre-existing, with a good chance of it being wrapped around the fibre several times? It could be all of 5 minutes work or a world of unnecessary hassle, expense and recrimination.

Fibre in buried ducts should be CST if not armored and will be almost indestructible. They're about 10mm diameter and blue or black. If it's biro size or smaller and rubbery then I wouldn't recommend it, I personally would but then I can splice fibres

Reply to SWA/SY cable in a fibre duct in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net