• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Swapping an old ceiling fixture. Replace the box? Add a ground? Thoughts? in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I just took down an old chandelier. I'm looking to swap it out with a different old fixture, but I am interested in making it as safe as possible.

I attached a picture of the fixture box as it is now and would really appreciate opinions on what needs to be done. At the very least, I feel like I'm meant to add a ground somewhere in the configuration.

I'm really not that experienced with electric work, and may end up calling a pro out, if it seems like more than I can handle 😅, but I would like to at least learn a bit before doing that.

Thanks in advance!IMG_20200325_193952066.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
I just took down an old chandelier. I'm looking to swap it out with a different old fixture, but I am interested in making it as safe as possible.

I attached a picture of the fixture box as it is now and would really appreciate opinions on what needs to be done. At the very least, I feel like I'm meant to add a ground somewhere in the configuration.

I'm really not that experienced with electric work, and may end up calling a pro out, if it seems like more than I can handle 😅, but I would like to at least learn a bit before doing that.

Thanks in advance!View attachment 56621
Luka we need a picture better than that, it looks like it’s got tape all over the wires so we can’t tell what wire is what. They should be 2 cables in the box

Reply to Swapping an old ceiling fixture. Replace the box? Add a ground? Thoughts? in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom