Discuss switch -on in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skystorm

Hi all back on night shift
The current to a tungsten-fileament lamp at the moment of switch on = is it is lower than the running current or significantl greater than after a second or so

easy enough. current at switch on is high. as the temp. increases, so does the resistance, therefore current will fall.

Are you asking about high inrush currents on start up or what?... Tungsten lamps are resistive loads and have little if any inrush to be concerned with.

Are you asking about high inrush currents on start up or what?... Tungsten lamps are resistive loads and have little if any inrush to be concerned with.
true, but the initial current is higher than the running current, due to the lower resistance of the filament when cold.

true, but the initial current is higher than the running current, due to the lower resistance of the filament when cold.
Also agree maybe should of added more to my post, dependant on voltage and wattage as an example the initial current may be 10amps for maybe about 40miliseconds (Variable on temp etc) quickly crashing to 0.4 amps as the filiment gets white hot, i took his post to maybe been a comparative question between inductive lighting and resistive but as mentioned before it was very hard to work out exactly what he was asking and why. What he did state was after a second or so and that was what i replied to, theres a long time between 40miliseconds and the couple of seconds he was enquiring about hence i said it wasnt of concern.

Last edited:
I think someone is clearly bored!!

Reply to switch -on in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net